Thai-Inspired Babyback Ribs - (w/ Pr0N)

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Marc
I've posted about this in the past, but all those are FUBAR'd by PhotoBucket... or whoever that was.

This is the original post by Buccs on the subject. - The images still work!

Here's his original write-up on the process:

Dice a shallot or two finely, along with a handful of birds eye chilies, 2 garlic cloves and the internal soft section of the lemongrass and pound them in a mortar and pestle.Add palm sugar and pound some more. Scrape out into a bowl and whisk in a good glug of soy, a few TBS of fish sauce and tip the mix into a big ziploc with the rib lets and put in the fridge for a day or overnight. Smoke lownslow. Quick glaze sauce: Sriracha mixed with ketchup and your favourite BBQ sauce along with apple cider vinegar to taste. Doesn't have to be cooked, just mixed.

Whipped up the marinade last night, pulled the membrane, and loosely vac-sealed everybody in until late this morning.

jrIXP2th.jpg

About 90 min in, she was looking mighty fine.

VHITXiXh.jpg

About 2 hours in, despite some pretty crazy winds, I was happy and ready to wrap with some apple juice for about an hour.

XZ7uqS9h.jpg

I did the Texas Crutch for an hour, then glazed them with the concoction Buccs mentioned above, and let it set (with 2 applications) for about 30 minutes.

sjF7Ou5h.jpg

Gave 'em a rest for about 30 minutes in a warm oven, then sliced 'em up.

e6scGshh.jpg

xjlmP0eh.jpg

I reglazed mine a little more, and added some killer salad from CINCHOUSE.

5pyRR3Ih.jpg

If you like Asian flavors and are mildly adventuresome, I highly suggest this as a fun weekend experiment. You'll be back for a second time and third time and... more.

Thanks, Buccs.

How was the texture? I did something similar but found liquid based marinades make the top portion leathery and jerky like.

How was the texture? I did something similar but found liquid based marinades make the top portion leathery and jerky like.

Perhaps it's the fact that I like to use the Texas Crutch on these that it doesn't get leathery.

Perhaps it's the slightly sweet, but spicy and umami glaze that puts a very slight "snap" on the outside of the ribs that distracts me from the texture you mentioned.

Honestly, I've made these like 4-5-6 times now, and I haven't experienced leathery/jerky-like texture from the top portion of the ribs.

I have never done beef ribs but this sure makes me want to try!

I haven't tried this with beef ribs, but I'll bet it'd be interesting.

These were just regular old pork baby back ribs.

Buccs originally did this with some smaller "riblets."

Thanks for the recipe. I did a Korean twist on some STL ribs recently and it was a nice change of pace. I kinda wish I had used full spares or baby backs like you did. Nice! :clap:

Back