Brine Question

T

tumpedover

I normally don't brine my birds...then again I don't normally do birds..more of a four legged animal kinda guy... But anyhoooo... If you brine a turkey ,should or do you still rub with spice rub before smoking, or is the brine enough seasoning??..I know this may depend on the brine ,but generally what do y'all do ??
John

Definitely rub in addition to the brine.. it will not interfere, only enhance.

Just be sure to keep a close eye for the amount of salt you use in the brine. Especially if the rub has a high salt content as well.

I've brined with just kosher salt, sugar and water. I've brined with fruit juice and salt. After the brine, I'll inject and rub. I use a low salt injection and rub since I've brined with salt already.

MilitantSquatter said:
Definitely rub in addition to the brine.. it will not interfere, only enhance.

Just be sure to keep a close eye for the amount of salt you use in the brine. Especially if the rub has a high salt content as well.

What he said. :wink:

Here's a very good turkey brine. After the brining I rinse thoroughly, let the bird air dry and then add my rub. Almost any rub will work with this brine, but I have used Texas Rib Rangers Rosemary Seasoning and it came out great. It's basically rosemary, garlic and a few other things.

Great sounding brine Ron ! I saved it and will try next turkey cook. Rosemary seasoning sounds good as well.

I like to brine/marinate in a base of Dr. Pepper/water that has kosher salt, lemon pepper and sugar added. After rinsing and then some air-dry time, I keep it simple by coating it with olive oil and sprinkling with salt and pepper (OO and S&P inside and out). I inject the turkey with any one of the various bottled raspberry salad dressings that I strain to remove the solids. During the cooking process I will spray periodically with a fruit juice.

can anyone recommend a simple rub concoction for the turkey? I'm going to brine my first breast this week. I plan on just doing a simple brine, salt, sugar, water. Smoking it with apple wood chunks in my WSM.

I make a regular rub (sugar, paprika, garlic & onion salt/powder, etc but use poultry seasoning as my flavoring agent). I love chilies but stay away from heat (especially with my mother in law) so I will use ancho as opposed to chiplotle (nice flavor barely any heat). I am doing a whole bird and will brine overnight (Tuesday-Wednesday in a pretty standard brine) and remove Wednesday rinse and dry. On Thursday AM I will rub compund butter under the skin (with garlic, ginger and seasonings) and dry rub the outside. On the wife's orders I am going to oven roast the bird.

RichardF said:
I like to brine/marinate in a base of Dr. Pepper/water that has kosher salt, lemon pepper and sugar added. After rinsing and then some air-dry time, I keep it simple by coating it with olive oil and sprinkling with salt and pepper (OO and S&P inside and out). I inject the turkey with any one of the various bottled raspberry salad dressings that I strain to remove the solids. During the cooking process I will spray periodically with a fruit juice.
you brine it in dr peper for how long?

JohnMcD348 said:
can anyone recommend a simple rub concoction for the turkey? I'm going to brine my first breast this week. I plan on just doing a simple brine, salt, sugar, water. Smoking it with apple wood chunks in my WSM.

Salt
Pepper
garlic powder
cayenne (just a little)
poultry seasoning (usually majoram, thyme, rosemary, sage and oregano or basil)

Simple rub that will do wonders for your bird.

ghostrider said:
you brine it in dr peper for how long?
Brine (24 hr.s +/-) in the frig, marinate (3 or 4 hr's) if it's on the counter-top. I use a 2-liter bottle of the Dr. P, and then add water as needed, depending on what I put the bird in. for parts, I don't use water if I'm marinating, but do add the same salad dressing i inject to the mainate, and cut down/eliminate the extra salt and sugar.

what i did
2 liters dr peper
chilli peper 2 tsp
pepper 2 tsp
1 cup of salt
water to cover

Bigmista said:
Salt
Pepper
garlic powder
cayenne (just a little)
poultry seasoning (usually majoram, thyme, rosemary, sage and oregano or basil)

Simple rub that will do wonders for your bird.

Much appreciated

1/2 cup kosher salt and 1/2 cup brown sugar per gallon of water to cover bird.

Season the brine to your desires. I like lemon pepper maybe some garlic powder and onion powder.

Remember to rub under the skin.

Rosemary and Sage with poultry are always good IME. I tend to lay off the sugar in a rub for poultry and cut back the salt as the brine has some in it.

Ho

Here's my question. If my brine recipe calls for 2 cups of salt to 2 gals. of water and I'm using a butterball turkey should I go with 1 cup salt or even less salt?

g

ggriffi said:
Here's my question. If my brine recipe calls for 2 cups of salt to 2 gals. of water and I'm using a butterball turkey should I go with 1 cup salt or even less salt?

g

Check the bird, if it has been injected with a solution, I would only use 1 cup of Kosher salt, 1 cup Sugar, 1 cup brown sugar and then anything else you may like in the turkey. (juice, soda pop, etc.)

Back