Standing Rib Roast

K

kcquer

I must admit, I don't know my cuts of meat as well as I should (guess I should watch more Letterman :wink: ). This weeks grocery ads are full of standing rib roasts.
I'm fairly certain this is one of those things you'd cook to 140 and roll around over the coals at the last.

What's the difference between a standing rib roast and a prime rib of beef?

Should I remove the bones before cooking?

Should it be fixed any different than Phil's prime rib method?

They are one in the same. I do both, but usually opt for the boneless rib roast. THink the standing rib roast is prime rib w/bone in, but they are both definately prime ribs. Stand it up Bone arc'ed down. Cook it the same way as my prime rib. High at first, then move to the cooler spot.

I go for the boneless. It's less of a hassle and if you think about it look at the price per pound on both. The bone in is usually less per pound but you are paying for the weight of the bones. Prime rib is excelent on the smoker. I did 75 pounds for a fund raiser last year. Yum!

You farkers are making me hungary. :( Now I'm going to have to go out and buy a rib to smoke al-la Phil. 8)

Thanks guys, @ $4.99 per # I gotta try one of these.

Occasionally our local grocery stores run whole KC strips (shell steaks)for about the same price, could you cook that hunk of beef the same way and would it be any good?

I have one in the fridge that I am trying to do some 'aging' on. Its a 20 pounder and lokks about 2 foot long. Had it for set aside for a party that went from 20 to 12 and never cooked it. Figured instead of freezing, I'll try the aging process Jim told me about. It's been in the back of the fridge since then at a steady 35-36 degrees. Seems it s just short of frozen. Still in the cryo and going on 4 weeks. If its still alive and hasnt turned into a science project by christmas eve, i'll have it smoked and out for our open house then.. otherwise I'll bury it in the yard next to Daves leg of lamb.

3.99/# here for boneless rib roast. Think I'll stop by the store on the way home...

Had bone in last night, got a good deal for a change.

spicewine said:
Had bone in last night, got a good deal for a change

At $ 4.99 per pound, what was that about 20 cents worth? :lol:

Didn't say I touched the surfece.

Back