Smokin' with dry corn cobs

Q

Que-Dawg

I was just asked to do some smokin’ for a wedding. And the people want me to use corn cobs… Have any of you used them before? And how do the burn and how does it taste?

Had a friend who used them in making jerky and fish.
They are mixed with charcoal as the base and produce a very mild smoke.
Same as you would put chunks of wood into a charcoal basket on an UDS!
He was a farmer and got bags full at his local elevator.

I have used them several times and they work great. I break them up and distribute them throughout the charcoal and use the Minion method. They produce a mild smoke. I like the flavor but don't find it easy to describe.

ROandCobbs.jpg

Here is a thread I posted on using cobs to smoke chicken at Thanksgiving.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52775&highlight=cob+smoked

Cob smoked hams and turkeys are popular in Vermont.

I love this site! Swear you can learn something everyday:p THANKS!

What they said. Nice flavor. Different, but still nice.

In Hoven we used picked corn like dried corn on the cob to do alot of smoking tough to find guys that still pick corn though. I have also used hand fulls of oats while smoking.

Oats? Dang. First I've heard of that one. Interesting.

I was just talking to my grandpa about this on Sunday. He says they used primarily dried corn cobs for all of their cold smoking way back when......which was a looooong time ago, as he is 105.

I was just talking to my grandpa about this on Sunday. He says they used primarily dried corn cobs for all of their cold smoking way back when......which was a looooong time ago, as he is 105.

Man that is awesome 105 wow… your lucky to still have him around… cherish these time you all have.

We used it when we made Kelbosa when I was young, I really like the taste of it.

KC Bobby: it doesn't matter which

Lol!

You are probably one of those two red one's followed by a white one to see if you did a good job, kind of guys.:biggrin:

Weiser

that aint what we used to use corn cobs for!!!!:roll::roll:

Back