THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Midnight Smoke

somebody shut me the fark up.
I have only done them about 6 times since I started smok'n. I usually trim (KC Trim?) down and remove the membrane.

Do I need to trim them or can you just throw the whole slab on as is. Seems there would be no difference.

Last ones I did I removed the membrane and trimmed off the thin end. Did not KC cut the ribs. They were great:icon_bigsmil Smoke on Bro smoke on

Ever since learning how to trim St. Louis style at the Nor Cal Bash last fall I've started always trimming mine that way. Really like it better that way and the family does too.

I do it both ways, but almost always remove the flap as it cooks faster-for presentation St Louis style is the way to go- you can also trim the "white bone" section off after they are cooked and save trimmings for all kinds of other good stuff- instead of removing the membrane you could also just slit it between the bones

been doing St lois style since i learned. As stated above though whatever you choose make sure you trim the thin flap on the sides as it dries out easily.

Agree with earlier posters. Trimmed seems to cook more consistent throughout and look nicer when sliced/served. All the trimmings go to good use as well!

There may be a slight difference in cooking time....maybe 30 minutes longer. But ribs are ribs. A lot of good BBQ joints (i.e. Arthur Bryant) cooks the slabs whole. You just gotta munch around the pieces of cartilage. But they are tastey

I like to trim St. Louis style. Season and cook them all together. The trimmings are done sooner and make great "chef's snacks".

I like to trim St. Louis style. Season and cook them all together. The trimmings are done sooner and make great "chef's snacks".

Amen to the cook's treats. But don't let the non-cooks find out! It's our secret!:rolleyes:

3-2-1 method on the UDS.

UDS ran a little hot to start, first ribs cooked on it. Came out okay. These were some real fatty ribs and I did not clean them up as well as I should have. No rub, just ribs.

Picture101.jpg

It takes a little more time and patience to cook full slabs. I like to see folks when they get the first look at them or get plated with a two rib section. :mrgreen: On the other hand, the short bones are a hassle for some to deal with....and they tend to get messy with your hands full and all.
1f1724ff.jpg

Back