Competition Rib "3-2-1 Sauce"

el_matt

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I've got a mess of ribs to cook for one of my grandsons 1st birthday. D-I-L has requested competition ribs, foiled with brown sugar, butter, honey, and hot sauce. Wrapping and unwrapping all of the racks, doesn't sound like too much fun. I'd like to cheat, to make it easier on myself, but without sacrificing the end result. I was thinking about cooking the ribs naked, making the sauce on the stove, then applying towards the end of the cook. I'm going to try it today, with a rack I bought this morning.

Should I spritz or mop during the cook?
Am I on a fools errand, will my plan even work?
Has anyone else tried this or even wondered about it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

Ah... a special request for a party. With all due respect..... maybe the D-I-L has had your ribs and want's something different?

You will become a better cook when you can make something that appeals to your guests. So if the host wants a wrapped finish with all the sweetness, grin and bear it even it isn't what you personally like. I bet she want's them on the FOTB tender side too.

By the way, the 3-2-1 method is really geared for a full (untrimmed) slab of spare ribs, not a rack of St Louis or loin back ribs. Be careful of that middle time or you can overcook ribs.

Maybe do part of the that way, the other part naked? everybody happy. Plus you give her the possibility of finding out she likes the other way.

I agree with everything you said. I was just hoping to make it a little easier on me. Thanks for the comment on the 3-2-1 timing. I'm well aware of that, but it may educate some other folks. Hopefully that didn't read as snarky.

I'm still going to give it a shot today, on a single rack of St. Louis. Thankfully my wife is 100% honest in her opinion of my cooking. Guess I'll have my answer in a few hours.

Matt

Juice wasn't worth the squeeze. Came out great. It was as much work, if not more. I'm glad I at least tried.

Matt

Back