Jack and apple juice for sprayin'

Capt ron

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've heard on forums about using Jack and apple juice for sprayin'... What is the ratio apple juice to Jack? What would it be best for beef?
Capt Ron

I've heard on forums about using Jack and apple juice for sprayin'... What is the ratio apple juice to Jack? What would it be best for beef?
Capt Ron

I think I would start with all Jack, spray in mouth, and add juice a little at a time (spraying in mouth with each addition) until perfect. Somewhere along the way you'll probably find that the ratio no longer matters to you.

I have been doing the Jack and Apple Juice for many years.
I use a 50/50 mixture.
PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Smoke On!!!!!

I don't spray much these days but I used to do apple juice and bouron in a 75/25 ratio... Specifically for brisket, I would also throw in a drop of cayenne and garlic powder or some leftover dry rub.

I have sprayed BBQ in a couple of years.

When I did, it was 25% or so booze and balance AJ.
Southern Comfort was the booze of choice :lol:

RIP Janis.

TIM

It's what ever makes you happy. I done the 50/50 and sometimes a little lighter depending on what to divy up for cooking & drinkin.

Pretty interesting.
Great responses here compared to "other" places!

Gotta love the Brethren :lol:

TIM

The last time I cooked butts it was just AJ and some seasonings that were strained out after it had time to simmer. I've added some Jack or other spirits in the past for flavor and it was probably in the 20-25% range as The_Kapn said. It's all about taste, and what you like.

I don't cook butts that often, but I still spray based on the rub, contents of the mop, and the things I add towards the end of the cook. Again, it's about what YOU like.

50/50 for the meat. Straigt up for me. Almost out of 80 proof, might have to rethink ratio :twisted: .

I don't spray much these days but I used to do apple juice and bouron in a 75/25 ratio... Specifically for brisket, I would also throw in a drop of cayenne and garlic powder or some leftover dry rub.
You took a wrong turn at Jack!:biggrin: I use Jim Beam, at a 3 parts AJ to 1 part Beam. Garlic, Tabasco, cayenne, onion, etc., all make nice additions. Just experiment, and figure out what you like.

I think I would start with all Jack, spray in mouth, and add juice a little at a time (spraying in mouth with each addition) until perfect. Somewhere along the way you'll probably find that the ratio no longer matters to you.
t for

Don't forget to add another 25% jack

jack or jim go into the sauce, or into the glass...

Spray bottles get cheap chit.. 10 high bourbon or somethign like that. No reason to waste the top shelf stuff on just spraying.

When i did it years ago, it was varying ratios, but 75/25 with the booze on the lighter side was the starting point.

I used to spray with that chit, but its a waste

Now, I spray with cherry juice from a juice box.

Save the alcohol for the cook

it's really personal preference. I use Jim and cider on my chargrillers and I pour a mix of that in my spicewine water reserve. Not sure if I'm supposed to or not but it works.

I do Jack, Apple Juice and some oil to help stick it to the meat. I do about 2 shots of Jack, two shots of oil and about a cup of juice. I use that on ribs and chicken.

I always spray when I smoke but I use a mix of lemon juice whisky and aj with a few other things to spray with. But it is completely up to you try something if you don't like it change it. That is what I do.

jack or jim go into the sauce, or into the glass...

Spray bottles get cheap chit.. 10 high bourbon or somethign like that. No reason to waste the top shelf stuff on just spraying.

When i did it years ago, it was varying ratios, but 75/25 with the booze on the lighter side was the starting point.

The cheaper the Bourbon, the more pronounced (i.e. harsh) the flavor.

Smooth stuff for the cook, cheap stuff for the food.

I spray with a variety of diffrent fruit jucies (ok- it's really what's in the fridge) with apple-cranberry being what I buy when I remember too. Just don't spray too early or the crust may not set up and you may wash your rub away. I also don't really spray the meat as much as I create a "fog" of juice around the meat.

Oh and remember, if you're foiling, it helps to remove it before you spray :wink:

Back