What's Cookin' This Weekend?

backyardchef

Babbling Farker
Haven't had a chance to fire up in a few weeks, so I'm itching to get out there. I don't know what we're cooking yet....maybe a brisket.

What are you cooking? Got any ideas?

I was not planning on cooking this weekend, but we just canceled out-of-town plans, so I may try a butt and brisket cook on Sunday. Have not done any serious [long low and slow] q for almost three months. Time to break in my new patio and introduce my new neighorbood to the smell of sweet blue.:mrgreen:

6 or 9 racks of ribs and 10 or 20 chix thighs for some guys to watch the Stanley Cup game Saturday night.

The Stanley Cup...no, it's a trophy for hockey...no, that's a sport...the one you play on ice...yeah they're still playing...no it didn't, oh nevermind...

Bill, I really have a craving for Thai, and that cute little host at Lemon Grass! OOOH Mista Noha, soo glad to see you, and how might I please you today...

Anyway, Matt I would like to try a beef tenderloin, kinda what Alton Brown did on his show. I guess this would be more of an exercise in meat prep than cooking, but what the heck... He made three different dishes off of one piece of meat. Also, this would give me a chance to use the new foodslaver.

Doing a non-sanctioned local contest.

Brisket
Pork Loin
Spares
Chicken
Beans

I think it will be Pizza tonight for Michael and I. A little burnt out on the Q at the moment. Me, not him.

BBQ Block Party for about 100.
8 Butts, 4 racks of large Beef Ribs, 12 racks of Baby Backs, 15 lb. Brisket, 30 Chicken Thighs, 1 whole Salmon, and, you guessed, PIG CANDY for everyone!!!!!
Smoke On!!!!!!!

Bill, I really have a craving for Thai, and that cute little host at Lemon Grass! OOOH Mista Noha, soo glad to see you, and how might I please you today...

That's a whole other kind of dish, eh? :twisted: I wonder if my wife would want to share? :rolleyes:

I think I see a ribeye in my future.....and, if I'm hearing the spirits clearly (there is much static today between the realms), ribs.....

ETA:
Anybody ever like to cook ribs 'direct' instead of low and slow? A few weeks ago I cooked some spares w/ a straight salt and peper rub over direct heat (about 1.5 hours or so), and they were awesome. Might do a rack that way this weekend along with the long cooked....Hadn't had grilled ribs in a looooong time.

Practicing thighs tonight after work - 2 different receipes.

Also purchased some country style ribs (that's just a sliced up butt right?) It was less per pound, plus I figured that 3 hours or so would get them done since they are smaller cuts.

Just grilling. Put some chicken thighs and breasts in to marinate this morning, and the skirt steak will go in a little later since I use quite a bit of lime juice. Yep, fajitas.

ETA:
Anybody ever like to cook ribs 'direct' instead of low and slow? A few weeks ago I cooked some spares w/ a straight salt and peper rub over direct heat (about 1.5 hours or so), and they were awesome. Might do a rack that way this weekend along with the long cooked....Hadn't had grilled ribs in a looooong time.

Last weekend, I cooked 2 racks BBacks in the kettle at 275-300 for 2 hours. They were perfect and not meat jello

My youngest, who I do the fall off the bone 2-2-1 for, said she likes these better than the regular.

So now I might actually start trying to get a comp quality tug to the meat. It was super easy on the kettle, thats for sure.

I'll have to try spares BYC

Still trying to recover from the 4 day cook last weekend, so whatever it is this weekend, it will be pretty simple

Been having BBQ withdrawals for the last 20 days. Cruise ship food left a lot to be desired :eek: . Looks like we are finally getting some much needed rain tomorrow so i will be q'ing something on Sun. Ribs I know, but not sure what else.

ETA:

This is actually how my wife perfers her ribs to be cooked. Direct over ashed over coals, or on the gas grill with burners set on low and meat on the top rack. Cook anywhere from 1-2hrs depending on fire and size of the meat. I perfer smoked, but sometimes you gotta please the misses, or the misses won't please you.

On the original quesiton of the thread me and my BBQ Partner are cooking for a small backyard BBQ party. Two boston butts, slaw beans and chips I may make some pig candy for folks to try.

Friend ordered 10 lbs. of pulled pork for a b-day party on Saturday. I bought two bone in butts. Total weight 19.01lbs.

If I have some pulled pork left over, oh well...

This is actually how my wife perfers her ribs to be cooked. Direct over ashed over coals, or on the gas grill with burners set on low and meat on the top rack. Cook anywhere from 1-2hrs depending on fire and size of the meat. I perfer smoked, but sometimes you gotta please the misses, or the misses won't please you.

I did them in RockawayBeach's (where you been, Thaddeus? Do they lock you in the restaurant?) little brinkmann vertical w/ out a water pan. Switched them between the mid and top shelf, cooked hot w/ lump and chunk for smoke....Juicy as hell Niman ranch spares from PigFest....pre-cut St. Louis and gorgeous....try it, Bill...it's goood.

Did I hijack my own thread??:rolleyes::icon_clown:icon_clown

Safeway had butts for $.99 so I got two 5# ones and a rack of BB's. I did a two day brine on a turkey breast and it has been resting letting the skin dry out since last night.

Second try at a brisket, this time a whole packer, about 12 lbs, rubbed with seasoned pepper and a ground roasted garlic/sea salt mix and injected with beef broth with some of the rub and a little cayenne in it.:mrgreen:

Attachments

• Smoker 043.jpg
    Smoker 043.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 74
Back