CL score - Weber 22.5 for $35!

kevine

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Wow, found this while scanning CL last night. A church thrift store had it for sale for $35. A little rust spots, nothing some steel wool won't take off, and one chip on the lid. Grate cleaned up nice with a wire brush, 20 minutes on my gasser on high, and then hit it again with a wire brush...may have to test this out this weekend!

Now, for the more important question...any tips of mods for a 22.5" One Touch? I'm already considering making my own side charcoal baskets out of some expanded metal, instead of the Weber ones (they look too small and not enough ventilation). Has anyone ever drilled a hole in the lid and installed their own therm, rather than a remote with a potato?

Last edited:
Nice score... that looks to be in excellent shape... especially for $115 off retail :)

Nice score. Several people have added thermometers to the lids, I haven't though. I do however have the Weber charcoal baskets and I can tell you they hold a lot more than you'd think.

Thanks for the tips. Since there's a chip in the porcelain lid about the size of a nickel, I'm thinking that's where I'm going to drill the hole for the thermometer. Since I have some extra expanded metal, I'll try to fashion a couple small baskets shaped like bananas...if they don't work...off to the store!

Great score:thumb: I added a thermometer to my lid and I like it. It has come in handy for me. I think I paid less than 10 dollars at Lowes for the thermometer. It probably isnt real accurate but it gets me in the ballpark. Now that it is clean..... Get it dirty!:becky:

Thanks for the tips. Since there's a chip in the porcelain lid about the size of a nickel, I'm thinking that's where I'm going to drill the hole for the thermometer. Since I have some extra expanded metal, I'll try to fashion a couple small baskets shaped like bananas...if they don't work...off to the store!

Hopefully, the chip is located on the side of the lid where your vent is located. If you're runnin' indirect, you don't want your therm over the coals.

Edit: Oh, nice score!

Hopefully, the chip is located on the side of the lid where your vent is located. If you're runnin' indirect, you don't want your therm over the coals.

Great point! I just ran outside to check. The chip is a few inches away from the vent. Perfect for indirect! Think I'll try a simple low and slow tri-tip that I'll sear right before serving.

I use a couple bricks instead of the charcoal baskets. Has worked fine.

Great find. Someone 45 mins from me posted a 22 inch kettle and 18 inch WSM last week for $100 for both, but when I contacted him they were already sold. I was bummed, and my wife asked why I needed more since I have a OTG and 22 inch WSM already. I told her that's like getting a $600 diamond necklace for $100, then she understood.

Kevine, NICE score!!!! Does look in awesome shape.Many time I wish I still had my kettle.

Frank, I feel you...I had a chance this week to buy a 26 3/4 Weber Kettle(awesome shape) for $20 or so and I didn't pull trigger. Knew I would have a hard time convincing wife another grill, to add to the 4 we have is necessary. Still thinking I should sneek it in.

brickie

Last edited:
kevine, nice score!! I'm GREEN with envy!! :becky:
Enjoy that reverse-seared tri-tip...that's what I'm having for dinner tonight.

brickie, oh man...you gotta snap up a 26" for $20.00!!! A man can never have too many grills!!

Kevine, NICE score!!!! Does look in awesome shape.Many time I wish I still had my kettle.

Frank, I feel you...I had a chance this week to buy a 26 3/4 Weber Kettle(awesome shape) for $20 or so and I didn't pull trigger. Knew I would have a hard time convincing wife another grill, to add to the 4 we have is necessary. Still thinking I should sneek it in.

brickie

Wow...a 26...this green OTG is my fifth grill/smoker and my wife wasn't too thrilled. Although, I do like the reference to the $600 diamond necklace for a $100. I'm going to have to use that one!:becky:

In order to try to save a little $$, I took the thermometer off my old gas grill (which will likely be out on the curb with a free sign in a couple months), and drilled a perfect hole where the chip is on the lid. Fits perfect, mounted nice...it's pinned at 650 degrees:doh:

Looks like I'm going to have to go buy one. Oh well, at least it'll have a nice new therm for my first cook!

Nice buy, I gave in and had to buy new, got a BNIB 22.5" Silver, but I may buy a used 26" is I can find one.

Back