Backwoods Chubby - First Cook -w/Pron FINAL

btcg

Babbling Farker
Okay,

Last night, I got the Chubby outta my office (basement) and on the deck, and the seasoning process began:

1-Cleaning
2-Initial burn
3-Canola oil (I'd already bought it Andy) application
4-Another short burn

1.jpg

2.jpg

Nice & clean, & ready to go. After the burn/oil application/burn, I was ready for my first cook the next day (today). I had decided to do pork butt for my first cook, so I went inside and made the injection, trimmed down the butts, and injected them.

I'd decided on a pretty straight Mixon injection, but after tasting it, decided to hit it with just a touch of ginger. Good decision.

So, what rub would I use?

Decided to keep it all MM, and broke out my Honey Muney, and set it aside so I could rub the butts (that just doesn't sound right, eh? :-D) the next morning.

With friday night's work complete, it was time to watch the Wings/Flames game. Wings win in the shootout... WOO HOO!

Set the alarm for 5am (today), and got up, and started with my prep.

By 5:50am, I had my fire going, the guru adapter installed w/guru, water pan loaded, and the 2 butts I'm cooking rubbed.

8.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

And the snow began.

Now, it had snowed during the night: maybe an inch. So part of my prep was sweeping down the deck. But suddenly, it began again.

But I'm determined: ain't gonna be no oven cook for me. I was prepared:

6.jpg

A baggie over my NanoQ, and time to pull out my secret weapon:

I had ordered the Backwood's BBQ Umbrella: only $299.00... a steal.

7.jpg

So, I'm now about 2.5 hours in, and watchin her smoke from the comfort of my family room.

Only another 10-11 hours to go.

JKOTU

Nice start, I can't wait to see the finished product. BTW that beautiful Backwoods umbrella would be cheap at twice the price!!!

Nice start, I can't wait to see the finished product. BTW that beautiful Backwoods umbrella would be cheap at twice the price!!!

Yeah, I thought so too. I really just bought it because it matched the Chubby so well.

Mighty nice looking cooker you have there . (Food for thought you might want to buy a stove board to set it on.)

Yeah. I used the cardboard for now, but gotta do something long-term so I don't burn holes in the deck.

Cool(literally!!) Nice smoker, will be waiting for those fine results.

While I'm at it, here's a few other thoughts, and a close up of the Backwood's BBQ Guru adapter:

3.jpg

Now, I read threads here all the time where people discuss fan sizes.

Conventional wisdom would make you think that bigger is better as to its output. A small fan just won't supply enough O2 for a large smoker, right?

Actually, unless you have a huge pit(and I mean HUGE), the small one will do just fine.

Before mine arrived, I had visions of hearing the fan running all of the time.

But in fact, it's mostly just short bursts, 2-3 times a minute.

That little smoker is too cute!!!
I see you got Cholula...Chili Garlic or Original?
I'm coming for dinner!:becky:

W
Before mine arrived, I had visions of hearing the fan running all of the time.

But in fact, it's mostly just short bursts, 2-3 times a minute.

Thats the beauty of a BWS (and any other insulated cooker). Once its up to temp, it holds heat nicely.

For deck protection, you have lots of options. I used to use concrete pavers (cheap and flexible). My buddy has a piece of metal sheeting under his smoker. Lots of options.

Thats the beauty of a BWS (and any other insulated cooker). Once its up to temp, it holds heat nicely.

For deck protection, you have lots of options. I used to use concrete pavers (cheap and flexible). My buddy has a piece of metal sheeting under his smoker. Lots of options.

It sure does.

I'm thinkin either metal, or a big piece of plywood. I've got a pressure washer, so I can keep it clean.

UPDATE:

Laid down on the couch, and when I woke up nearly 3 hours later, the BWS was still chugging along and holding temp perfectly.

@ 2:30, I took temp readings (154) a ways to go yet.

Opened the bottom and saw I needed fuel. Pulled it out, pushed all the coals that were still burning into one corner, and loaded it up again with charcoal.

So, I got 8.5 hours steady @ 26-31 degree temps with a bit of wind, to boot.

I think that's pretty darn efficient.

My son's band is playing a gig in Richmond today, and the goal is to have the pork done and pulled by the time he and the band (and their entourage) get's back. It's gonna be close.

Nice, it sounds like it is going fine and you made peace with the charcoal. Certainly can't complain about 8.5 hours of steady burn.

Yes Bill, Bob, and I would imagine the cold weather is a real problem with fuel use even with one of those insulated units. I gotta believe it will be even better when it warms up.

Yes Bill, Bob, and I would imagine the cold weather is a real problem with fuel use even with one of those insulated units. I gotta believe it will be even better when it warms up.

Thanks Bob!

Yeah, it sure was cold, rummaging around on my deck at 5:30 am. I tried to be quiet, but dropped the drip pan at one point. I live in a PUD (planned urban development) called the Lakelands/Kentlands, and our houses are all very close together. I saw a few lights come on. My neighbors must think I'm strange, BBQing in this weather, that early in the morning. But I just had to use my BWS.

Back