La Caja China vs La Caja Asadora

MeatyOakerSmoker

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hello

I've been look at buying a La Caja China for quite some time. Some of you maybe more familar with the name cajun microwave for these boxes. I know some brethren have these guys and so I was trying to get some feedback on them. I was looking at the La Caja China Model 2 or the La Caja Asadora. The price difference is substantial, $350 vs $200 before tax & shipping, respectively. I believe the La Caja Asadora is also available from a vendor near me for even less, about $170 again plus tax but no shipping.

I've seen a post here where a guy says he's used both and can't tell the difference except in the price however I'm generally wary of sites where the posters may be the vendor themselves in guise. Therefore I've come here for trusted information.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Sam

Main difference I see is that the La Caja Asadora box is lined in galvanized steel where as the La Caja China box is lined with aluminum.

Depends which one you get. LaCaja China makes a galvanized model also, for 200.00 roughly, the aluminum is about 100 more I think

I got my LCC#2 for $40 off CL, so I didn't do any comparative shopping. And all I know is it works as described, in fact the instructions are on the side of the box. I think if I paid retail I'd probably pass on any of them out there, even building one myself.

Picked up the La Caja China Cookbook by Perry Perkins and there are a ton of recipes so, I'd suggest getting it and if you plan on using it a lot it'll up your game.

I'd be a bit reluctant to cook in a galvanized steel enclosure. Other than that, they look the same.

I could easily build the wood part myself, but the steel/aluminum part would be my undoing, as I don't have the tools or skills for that.

CD

I paid $199.00 for my La Caja China #2 but that was over 15 years ago. They do have one model lined with galvanized steel for $249.00 but I would pay the extra money for an aluminum lined model, but thats just my 2¢. The Caja China and Caja Asadora look identical to me and probably cook exactly the same. I would think if the construction quality is the same its a toss up.

If you go with the Caja asadora I would be interested to know what you think.

Yeah the galvanized steel is the real worry to me. But as so many have said on the UDS thread it takes quite a bit of heat for the galvanized steel to make a difference.

I've been checking CL quite frequently for one but frankly they aren't exactly commonplace. I did find one for $200 brand new there and the guy agreed to the deal I made him but then by the time I got home to pick it up he sold it to someone else.

I built a UDS (really 3) and that was simple but time consuming (for the first one at least). But when it comes to this I need to get aluminum, a box, wheels, etc then cut, bend, etc. I cant imagine it will be all that much cheaper so I'd rather just pay for one.

swamprb/Shooter1: How do you like the cooker?

Yeah the galvanized steel is the real worry to me. But as so many have said on the UDS thread it takes quite a bit of heat for the galvanized steel to make a difference.

I've been checking CL quite frequently for one but frankly they aren't exactly commonplace. I did find one for $200 brand new there and the guy agreed to the deal I made him but then by the time I got home to pick it up he sold it to someone else.

I built a UDS (really 3) and that was simple but time consuming (for the first one at least). But when it comes to this I need to get aluminum, a box, wheels, etc then cut, bend, etc. I cant imagine it will be all that much cheaper so I'd rather just pay for one.

swamprb/Shooter1: How do you like the cooker?

I love mine, you can't beat the consistency or the ease of use and it was worth every penny. Just depends how much you will actually use it. We tend to use it only 2-3 times per year. I store it at my Mom's house so I don't have to deal with that. I also make sure I clean it well after each use and don't put it away until everything is completely dry. I am able to put all the components on the inside, including the handles and then I just bungee the top tray to the box and lean it up against a wall in the garage till the next time.

La Caja Asadora

OK,

Restaurant Depot has on sale til midnight the La Caja Asadora 24" x48"x 20", marine aluminum lined for $229 free shipping up to a 70-80 pig, etc...any experience..comments?

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Hi Cliff

I've read a lot of feedback about both. It seems you really can't go wrong with either. The only negatives I've heard are about the galvanized models. I believe the one thing that La Caja China has that La Caja Asadora does not is additional accessories like a rotisserie attachment etc.

Let us know what you decide!

I didn't see where it said only till midnight. It looks good, doesn't look like it breaks down flat so storage would be the only concern. Pig does turn out pretty darn good on it tho.

I have a La Caja China #2 and it' really not much to it and it works as adverstised. If the La Caja Asadora is a box that is big enough to cook the meat that you want to cook, I don't think you can go wrong.

+1 on the avoiding the galvanized stuff. My La Caja China gets extremely hot and I would worry about the galvanized coating. Google "welder's flu" for more info.

The "welder's flu" from the galvanized steel is caused by inhaling the fumes from the metal at high heat, so unless you're standing there breating heavily over the cooker all day, I don't think it would be an issue.

Hi Cliff

I've read a lot of feedback about both. It seems you really can't go wrong with either. The only negatives I've heard are about the galvanized models. I believe the one thing that La Caja China has that La Caja Asadora does not is additional accessories like a rotisserie attachment etc.

Let us know what you decide!

So I pulled the trigger and did the RD deal with minutes to go...Free delivery...

Aluminum Roasting Box - La Caja Asadora - Caja China - Cajun Microwave 1 $229.00

The manufacturer has it on their web site for $259.00 with about $68 shipping..,

Apparently it is their new model and needs less charcoal to cook with...no galvanized steel...just marine aluminum, stainless steel and wood...

They also sell the accessories for La Caja China for use on their La Caja Asadora...

Will let you know when it arrives and I do a cook...

For now it looks good...

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Back