Char-Griller Smokin' Pro

F

fastbruce

I saw one at Lowes today and it looked like a decent smoker, anyone here own one or used one?

You'll find a lot of Chargriller owners here. I've had one for a few years. The cast iron grates are nice. A couple mods help her out. Lower the exhaust stack to grate level with dryer vent. The factory fire grate in the side fire box is way too low and the ashes will choke out the fire, so the fire grate needs to be raised. When cooking offset, many people will turn the direct cooking charcoal grate upside down to direct the heat across the smoke chamber.

Mine gets used mostly for direct grilling chicken. There is a lot of real estate (grilling surface) on there. The direct grilling charcoal grate can be set low enough to minimize flair ups.
If you're cooking offset for long periods, it can be a fuel hog. I just burn wood, no problem.

You are going to get a lot of different opinions about this smoker. I would buy a Weber OTS or OTG for grilling and build a UDS for smoking. Just my .02.

Several folks have one. Takes some modding to get them to work better. Use the Google search bar at bottom for Chargriller mods. Got one i bought used that is in process of a Redneck Makeover.

I've had one for quite a few years...Found it to be rather inconsistant, and had troubles with maintaining low temps for long burns... However I am fairly new to this website where one can gain much in wisdom, compared to what I had over my first years....I'm sure that there are better smokers for the money...My newly built UDS has taken the place of my chargriller as far as smoking goes...But I still use her for direct, and indirect grilling...Actually I'm refubishing her after about four years of use and abuse has left her in need..

Firecrackerjack

I "had" one. Used it for a long time. Great as a grill and smoker. It just required too much baby sitting. Just got to where I used the egg or the UDS more and sold it.

You are going to get a lot of different opinions about this smoker. I would buy a Weber OTS or OTG for grilling and build a UDS for smoking. Just my .02.

Amen! If you want a smoker, build a UDS. I have a char-griller duo with side smoker and it does not even compare to the ease of the UDS and the meat it produces.

I'll agree that the CG is not the best smoker around, but with a little practice you can produce good Q on them. It taught me a lot about fire control. This stuff didn't suck:
ABT1.jpg

Eggsandsausagestart.jpg

Eggssausageandsirlointipafteronehou.jpg

RibsandEggs.jpg

countrystyle1.jpg

countrystyle2.jpg

InPit3.jpg

its what i'm learning on. For me its great but i really need something bigger.

I'll agree that the CG is not the best smoker around, but with a little practice you can produce good Q on them. It taught me a lot about fire control. This stuff didn't suck:

Eggsandsausagestart.jpg

Smoked eggs??? That is definitely a first for me. Are they just hard boiled and then smoked

i have one but never put on a sfb. its ok but i find the weber kettle much better. i use my cg as my main rotisserie unit now. het a cg on craigs list cheap and then go from there. i got mine rather cheap so i'm happy.

Smoked eggs??? That is definitely a first for me. Are they just hard boiled and then smoked

Yep, hard boiled and smoked. And I do stand corrected, these did suck. The outside formed a skin harder than a wedding #####.

^^^^ What he said ^^^^
I find mine to be a babysitting nightmare especially in cool weather.
I just lowered the exhaust to grate level and made a baffle and some plates to hopefully even out the heat.
I am going to make a new firebox insert and see what happens. I'll play around with that for a while
If that does'nt work, it' will go bye bye.

Good luck

I have one but don't use it much, mainly it's my rib machine. Fire-box mod, baffle, stack extension & tuning plates do wonders on this thing. Next up is a charcoal maze!

I still really like mine and use it along with my UDS. I do not mind the baby sitting though. After the mods and building a better charcoal basket, I get 3-4hr burns. The mods were a must. I still prefer the taste of pork from the offset vs the drum, but briskets are all on the UDS now.

Back