Baking on a weber? can you prove it?

bocephus

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have a cookie exchange coming up with people from my work. They invited my girlfriend and not me becuase they didnt think it was manly enough for me to bake cookies... Well I said I would make it manly and cook them on my grill. :confused:
So folks can it be done, can you prove it and or provide me with tips, AND if you think this is not a good idea, then i can use my dutch oven on my weber...
so you know equipment
weber performer
I have a pizza stone, or cast iron skillet, or dutch oven, help me out

:becky:

I say yes it can be done. I've seen people post pics of pies baked on Weber grills and they looked awsome. I'm thinking the pizza stone would be the way to go to provide for the most even heating.
Let us know how it goes and post some pron. Good luck.

Depending on the type of cookie you are making, I think you might get some unwanted smokey/BBQ flavor on them if you have a well seasoned grill.

I did chocolate chip cookies on the pizza stone in my BGE. They tasted different than in the oven. I can't say for sure if it was from the fire or the stone, though. It definitely wasn't a failure, if that's any consolation.

As long as you have grayed over coals, you should be good. Give it a trial run.

If worse comes to worse, put a cookie sheet or some foil on the stone.

Cookies will be a bit tougher than something like a pie, but if you have baked enough cookies, I think you could pull it off.

You will need to have enough coals, and have them evenly burning, so you can get a steady heat going. I'd use an oven thermometer on your cooking grate to be sure of the temps, and would NOT trust the thermometer on the Weber lid.

A stone would be good, but I personally like baking cookies on Air=Bake sheets. I'm not sure they would fit in my OTG. I'd probably use my pizza stone.

Do small batches -- about a dozen cookies at a time.

It's doable. And, it sounds like a fun challenge. I would definitely do it.

CD

As long as you have grayed over coals, you should be good.

I agree! Even heat, and you want heat, not smoke.

You may want to be sure you have the heat to leave your top vent wide open to keep smoke to a minimum.

Crap, I'm hooked. Now, I may have to try baking cookies on my OTG -- just to see if I can. Did I forget to take my meds today? :crazy:

CD

I made some brownies in my WSM a couple months back and they turned out great.:thumb: No advice for a kettle though.

I have not done them on my Weber but have used the well seasoned Egg. I would place some spacers (1 1/2 - 2") directly on the cooking grate and then put the Pizza stone on those spacers. Place Parchment paper on the stone and bake away. The biggest thing will be getting the temp right, to hot and they will burn on the bottom.

I'm sure you can do it...the biggest problem will likely be maintaining a consistent
temperature....what you might do to combat this is to make the cookies smaller.
4" and larger diameter cookies are great; but it may work better for you to go for
2" diameter cookies.
Use a heavy restaurant grade 1/4 sheet pan...they make it very hard to burn cookies,
even in the oven.
Try to get an overhead temperature of whatever the recipe call for....with a little
experimenting, you should be able to set it up without too much problem.

From "Barbecuing The Weber Covered Way" Published in 1972

Triple Fudge Bars
Charcoal -Indirect method

1 package (3 1/4oz) chocolate pudding and pie filling (not instant)
1 package (18 1/2 oz) chocolate cake mix
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Vanilla or Chocolate Ice Cream (optional)

Prepare pudding mix as directed on package label. Stir in dry chocolate cake mix. Pour into greased 9 X 13 pan. Sprinkle chocolate chips and walnuts over batter.

Center pan on cooking grilll cover kettle and bake about 40 minutes or until done. Cool or serve warm. To serve, cut into squares and serve warm or cold. Plain or with ice cream.

Yield 15 to 24 servings.

Weber says to cook these indirect. This means, in Weber terms, on a 22 inch kettle you need 25 briquettes on each side of kettle. After they are ashed over you should have the proper heat and should get 45 to 50 minutes of cooking time. Add 8 briquettes every 45 minutes for an additional 45 minutes of cooking time.

No pictures here, but, I have made cookies in a kettle, it is best to have both a stone and a air-bake sheet. You want the coals spread out and in a double layer, evenly heating. I like them to not be to the edge, all under the stone. The stone will even the heat out, the gap around the edges will create convection, the air bake prevents scorching, it works a lot like a professional oven for making cookies. I would not use any smoke wood, just charcoal.

Never tried it, but I'd say if you can maintain a pretty consistent temp, why not? On a weber kettle, I'd recommend either a stone or cookie sheet just to diffuse the direct heat, OR place your coals around the perimeter to avoid burning them.

.......wait. I just realized that you'd HAVE to use a sheet/stone or the damn dough would melt and fall through the grate....:doh:)

I'd also agree with Landarc and NOT use smokewood, just coals.

Anyway.....sure hope you post the results!

I have made corn bread

IMG_1305.jpg

IMG_1306.jpg

I love the air-bake sheet idea. Cookies should be no problem.

Back