Need ideas for beef pot roast on the smoker.

JohnMcD348

is Blowin Smoke!
My wife has a pot roast that needs to be cooked and she asked me if I'd like to do it on the smoker this Saturday. I wa wondering if any of you guys out there have done a regular beef pot roast on a smoker.

Should I rub it, just plain smoke it, should I cook it like a butt. Any ideas and insight are greatly appreciated.
I was thinking of maybe using apple wood and a little hickory for the smoke.

Thanks

did one last w/e .. 3 pounder... my thought process was to bring it up to 190-195 ish,same as brisket, to use for chili.. it took forever to get there .. bout 5 hours...but it was one of the best tastin pieces of meat I've smoked in a long time .. almost didnt make it to the chili pot it was so tasty.. I rubbed it with a rub I used for Brisket, only because i was feeling my way in the dark.. it turned out to be the right decision in my opinion.. great stuff.. will do again... and not use for chili, but with a regular meal mashed potatos, red cabage( smoked) and pumpernickle bread :shock:

Chuck roast maybe..

Cook like a pork butt. Foil at 165*. Take up to 190*, and cooler. Should fall apart like pulled pork.

Bobberqeer said:
will do again... and not use for chili, but with a regular meal mashed potatos, red cabage( smoked) and pumpernickle bread :shock:

Call me for that meal!!!!!

You got it homey!!! I got plenty of Chili left.. ya want/need some.. I'll drop it off tomorrow at yer house .. I didnt use choclate in it this time.. still taste good .. let me know, I'll leave it in a cooler on your stoop

thillin said:
Chuck roast maybe..

Cook like a pork butt. Foil at 165*. Take up to 190*, and cooler. Should fall apart like pulled pork.

What he said. Chusk roast works great. Round or sirloin are too lean.

The JT Man,
Rub down that Chuck or Pot Roast just like you would a Butt. Put it in an aluminum pan and pour in a beer. Do as the guys have said and bring it to temp just like a Butt. Fall off the bone and those juices are the BEST!!! I do them about as often as I do Butts. I love smoked, pulled Beef!!!!
PARTY!!!!!
ed

JT Man,
I forgot something. The last 2-3 hours of the smoke, add carrots, onions and potatoes to the pan in all of those juices. Maybe a couple of sprigs of Rosemary or Thyme, also. That is a Pot Roast dinner.
PARTY!!!!
ed

Bobberqeer said:
You got it homey!!! I got plenty of Chili left.. ya want/need some.. I'll drop it off tomorrow at yer house .. I didnt use choclate in it this time.. still taste good .. let me know, I'll leave it in a cooler on your stoop

you know where i live also

I'm on the road in about an hour, Willie ,ya want I drop some off??

I did a 19lb shoulder clod for thanks giving and it was great. I did it hot and fast for 6 hrs or so then foiled anf rest in a cooler for an hour. Salt, pepper,and Chili powder.

Back