Breakin' in my new Bandera (Newb)

T

TxRooster97

Howdy from College Station Texas! First off, I'm really enjoying the site so far. I was hoping to get some expert information on my new baby. Yesterday I was fortunate enough to pick up my new NB Bandera. Before I put it together I had heard of some modifications that regulate a more stabile heat throughout the smoke chamber. Can anyone clarify exactly what it is I should do for a smoother running rig? I've got some birds and a pork loin that are beggin to be smoked! Thanks in advance!

TxRooster

Howdy Rooster, You'll want to do a couple of things. Go to the homepage here:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/index.php
Scroll down and download the Bandera 101. That'll get you started. Then don't be afraid to ask questions. These guys love to give advice.:wink:

Thanks Kevin! I need all the advice I can get. I'm a novice-intermediate Q'er and am wanting to really hone in my skills and take my Q to the next level. I'm stoked about my new Bandera indeed...Take it easy!

-Chris

The Fire grate mod, the baffle and the fire brick mods are must do's to begin. I Purchased my Bandera at christmas time. I used it the first time as is. The results were less than favorable. After the first three mods I had a much better experence. There is a ton of good info on this site plus folkes with a lot of experence. Good luck!

do right off.....

the firegrate: or raise the existing one about 3 inches til ya build one.

Baffle.. use Heavy duty foil of you have to make a temp one.

And head to Cattle Call to say Howdy Damnit!:-D Ags....

For the baffle, I've had good luck making it out of a disposable aluminum food pan.

Rooster,

Welcome and good luck with your new smoker!:biggrin:

whoop!. welcome.. !! once you have it broke-in.. first buy is one of spicewine's baskets (courtesy of BigAl)

It helps to build a mini bonfire stack in the middle of your firebox to properly break-in your bandera aggie-style while drinkin' a pearl.. mmmmm pearl.. haha

evilpsych said:
whoop!. welcome.. !! once you have it broke-in.. first buy is one of spicewine's baskets (courtesy of BigAl)

Would have to agree - Life gets a lot better with a custom coal basket.

I made my firebox grate from materials bought at Home Depot. I made my baffle out of aluminum flashing, but it looks like it will need to be upgraded to something more substantial.

If you are itching to cook now, raise the existing grate a few inches so it will breath. It just won't work in the stock configuration.

Welcome. Definitely download and read the Bandera 101 then ask anything from these guys and they'll give you the straight poop on the matter. No real secret keepers here.

Hey, can you still get a NB 'Dera? This must be a Texas thing. Im pretty sure we cant get them in the east. Are they making good quality ones again or is this the China made ones Ive heard about?

OK guys and gals,

I went and picked up some supplies at Home Depot and Lowe's. I got two expanded metal grates 3/4X24X24. I plan to offset one onto the other so that it minimizes the space on the bottom of the grates. I picked up some 22 gauge sheet metal for the standard "Brethren" baffle courtesy of the template under the file section. Now I'm really getting anxious to get started. The only problem is that I don't have a welder so I'm having to take all this to a buddy's house.
I keep hearing about a custom coal box from Spicewine but I didn't see anything about it on their website. Do I have to send in my own specs or just tell them I have a Bandera and would like a coal box?
Also, which thermometers should I be looking at?
I can't tell you how much I appreciate everyone's help!

Spice has the best Thermometer for a Dera. Call or when you order, mention the Brethren.

Spicewine baskets are in our for sale section with details and the photo section has pictures or jus tsend Jay(spicewine) a PM...

Jay..paging jay!!!

Back