What meat grinder should I get?

B

bbq boyee

I'm looking at buying a meat grinder. I don't want to pay much more than 100 bucks. Do any of you have a grinder that you spent around a 100 bucks on and are ahppy with?

Most of the grinders in the $100 range are made with plastic gears and are not meant for heavy duty use. If you'll only be using it infrequently then I would pick up something like the Waring Pro and just understand that after a while it will burn out. You could also get a hand cranked grinder if you don't mind putting a little effort into it. If you expect to use it more often then I really recommend you save up more for something from LEM (sold at Bass Pro Shops) or Cabelas, you'll be much happier in the long run.

I have had the Sam Baere TS-110 for a couple of years.
Well built, reasonable power, and easy to clean.
Great unit.

I think it was a bit more than your desired limit--but a starting place to look around.

I use mine often and love it.

TIM

If you have a kitchenaid mixer, I always reccommend the grinder attachment for that. It only costs $49, and is fine for home use. If you are going to be using it really frequently, I would go another route, but if you don't know, $49 is about as cheap as it gets to find out. All that being said, if you are planning on stuffing as well, I would stear clear of the kitchenaid stuffer attachment.

I was looking at a cabelas one here at this link--------------> http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Heavy-Duty-Meat-Grinder/1083204.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dmeat%2Bgrinders%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=meat+grinders&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

If you get a chance check it out and let me know what you think of it. Also was looking at this one: Amazon.com: Deni 3500 800-Watt Professional Grade Meat Grinder: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41KBJYyXfwL.@@AMEPARAM@@41KBJYyXfwL

I might add that I am planning on using this a fair amount. I don't butcher my own meat by any means and rarely am I lucky enough to kill something when I go hunting, but I imagine when I first get it I'll be using it quite a bit. I want to make my own bratwerst and polish sausages.

Looking at cabella's the waring Pro grinder usually $99.00, selling refurbished models for $39.00...

They are farkin' cheap but the reviews scare me.

Yeah, I just saw the Cabelas one you posted has much better reviews. I think anything under $200 is gonna be a crapshoot, however, because they're going to give you a pretty weak motor and plastic gears. If you try to put in too much meat and work it too fast you're going to snap the gears or fry the motor.

I bought my dad a cheap one for about $100 a couple years back. We opened it up and it just screamed CRAPPY so I took it back and spent the difference on the 1/4 hp LEM from Bass Pro Shops and we couldn't be happier. It has handled everything we've thrown at it. Of course it was about $240 so it's way over your budget.

Check Northern Tools. Their grinder gets pretty decent reviews with guys that make quite a bit of sausage. I just bought their Kitchener 5# stuffer.

This 1/2 horse #12 is currently $99 and I've seen it lower and on occasion they have coupons. ((Just saw the previous posts!!))
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200451267_200451267

The Kitchen Aid grinder gets the job done but you are a bit limited on plate sizes. My next purchase is a #10 or #12 grinder.

The Kitchen Aid is a good choice for light duty. Or get one of the old style hand grinders and motorize it. Kits are available and should last a lifetime.

I got the Northern Tool grinder for about $100 3-4 years ago and it's still going strong. It's not commercial grade but for home use it does great. I use it at least once a month for simply grinding chuck for a few burgers or for 20lbs of pork for sausage on occasion. I have a good amount of venison sausage making coming up soon and it'll handle it just fine. And if it does crap out, it's inexpensive to replace. I highly recommend it.

I picked up the Northern Tool one a few months ago. Was highly recommended. Haven't had a chance to use it yet but it's built solid. As stated $99.00 is a good price.

+1 on the KitchenAid attachment. It does everything I need it to. Of course if you don't have a KitchenAid mixer already then it doesn't matter.

anything in your price range will be a crap shoot. Been there , done that. They will hold up ok for occasional grinds but when it takes a chit in the middle of a grind, you will be wishin' ya spent more! I had an el cheapo from ebay for a few years that did fine then took a crap in the middle of a 10lb grind. I went with one of the commercial cabela's grinders and can't be happier now.

I have the Kitchener from Northern Tool also. The $99 price must only be good online because it was $129 in the store and they would not match the website price. I have used it quite a bit and it works very well for me.

I have the Kitchen-Aid and it has been good to me. I recently picked up a cast iron Enterprise #32 and a Porkert #22 hand grinders.

Back