What is your favorite charcoal BRIQUETTE for smoking?

What is your favorite charcoal BRIQUETTE for smoking?

• B&B

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Bayou Classic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Charblox

• Charcoal King

• Chef's Select

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Coshell

• Cowboy (by Duraflame)

• Embers

• Expert Grill

• Fire & Flavor

• Frontier

• Fogo

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Jealous Devil

• Kingsford Blue Bag (KBB)

Votes: 25 23.4%
  • Kingsford (any other variety)

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • Original Naturals

• Nature's Own

• Royal Oak Classic

• Royal Oak Premium

• Stubbs

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • Weber

Votes: 36 33.6%
  • I use lump.

Votes: 15 14.0%
  • You left mine off! How could you do that??

Votes: 5 4.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AstroBen

Reaction score
Looks like the last big discussion of charcoal ended in 2014 and included a lot of lump coal. How about a 2020 poll for briquettes only? I'm sure I left off someone's favorite and I do apologize if I do. So many to choose from. Like 27 different kinds of Kingsford...

When I can find it, I really like the Royal Oak natural Briq's (not on the list).

Weber all day every day--I just restocked. Before I bought the Weber, I was using B&B(new to me), and was very happy with it.

Before the B&B, I was using Cowboy--down to my last few bags of it.

Weber for me. I probably haven't used as many different names as a lot of the well seasoned ( another pun intended) folks here, but once I tried Weber and was very pleased with it, I haven't really gone to another, except for lump.

Another Weber guy here! Used to use Stubbs, they quit selling it; then went to Cowboys, cant find it locally and shipping wastes about 3 lbs + of it in dust and broken pieces. Can get Weber and Ace gives a 5.00 card so there is that too.Love the higher temp, slow burn and less ash. Plus it has no chemical smell.

Since you specifically said "Smoking"...for me it's Weber. It used to be Stubbs but that stuff is long gone.

R.O. All Natural is what I use the most though. It's great for smoking and grilling.

Recent Weber convert. I used other briquettes as I had heard bad comments about Weber. My BIL started using them last year in his UDS and was very happy with them so I bought a bag to try. Now I love them and have bought a few extra bags.

Stubbs was my go to for briquettes. It looks like I'm going to have to check out Weber.

There are others I like better, but I voted for Kingsford Blue Bag...
Unfortunately it's not a matter of what I like many times, it's a matter of price and availability. For consistency on temperature, cook time, and price point, plus the fact that it's available EVERYWHERE without having to go to a specialty shop or some other location that's not in my usual driving circuit, it just tends to win out for most cooks.

I like Royal Oak natural lump.

But if using briquettes its hard to beat the smell of Stubbs but looks like that is not an option anymore.

Weber, easy. Even with the worlds most frustrating bags

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kingford competition. I buy them from Costco

Down to my last 2 bags of Stubbs. Looks like I will be giving the Weber stuff a try. Have a great weekend!

Does Blue Rhino and lava rocks count? Works for me...

Kingford competition. I buy them from Costco

I saw an interesting video comparing 3 Kingsfords to Weber, including Kingsford Competition. That one seemed to burn out the fastest, but also produced the least ash. What is your experience with its burn time?

Back