Been asked to smoke deer meat. Need advice.

Smoked the back straps about a month ago. Seasoned with oakridge wild game wrapped them in bacon, seasoned bacon with killer hogs BBQ rub. Smoked with hickory at 275 until 120 internal temp. Sliced 1/2 inch
pieces, served at a tailgate,huge hit.

Last edited:
Haveuseen1 has good advice. I cut the backstrap in one inch thick pieces, coat with Tony Chachere, black pepper, soak in worchestershire sauce. Get the charcoals red hot, put on a piece of wood for smoke, cook the backstrap pieces directly over the hot coals for about 2-2 1/2 minutes on each side. Take off and eat immediately. I like mine with tiger sauce,
imo it is better than T-bone.

Jack

As stated, hot n fast to rare. Still using up the moose I got last year. Better than venison all day long cooked the same way.

I've smoked the roasts before. Injected with beef broth and garlic. Smoked to medium rare and slice like roast beef. Tasted good to me

I smoke whole rear quarters to about 160 and they turn out mighty fine as long as you inject and layer with bacon. You can also cook it till you can pull it like a pork butt or shoulder.

Take a whole hind leg and trim off all the silver skin and fat. Inject it with Tony C's Creole Butter. Rub with a sweeter rub like Blues Hog or Dominator. Smoke with whatever wood you like. Cherry is what we like on venison. Cook at 225 until it hits 180-190. Take it out and chop it up and mix in whatever sauce you like. Pretty good stuff. You can also smoke it until 180 or so and braise it in Worcestershire and beef broth until it is fork tender.

Whole roasts, or front shoulders, dry brine over night, salt, pepper, maybe some garlic powder rub, smoke to IT 140-145. This will get you med rare to med,. Don't go higher.

Back