Whole Hog Smoke/grill

burninsmoke

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
Hey guys I just got a 275 gallon oil heater smoker/grill and want some tips as far as cooking a whole hog. The hog weighs in at about 80 lbs. I'm wondering how long it will take if I do it at 275-300 degrees or should I do it hotter or cooler. I would appreciate tips from all the hog experts on here. I've noticed that Caja china seems to be shorter than a smoke. Does anyone know what the temperature inside a Caja China? Any way thank you for the tips.

The whole hogs I've cooked before, we have cooked from 225*-300* and all the ranges work fine. The higher the temp the shorter the time (120lbs or so take 10 hrs around 275). Just remember that the hams and shoulders are going to take longer than the loins so if there is any way you can concentrate the heat on certain areas of the hog it will cook more evenly and all finish at similar times. With this being said I'm definitely far from a whole hog expert.

I've cooked a couple hogs on a oil drum pit yrs ago.
Pit had two sections for charcoal, one on each end of the pit. The dividers had holes drilled in them for heat to transfer to the middle(bigger) compartment. I was surprised how well that rig cooked.
I'm now using a 250g reverse flow for whole hogs.
If butterflied, I figure 1 hr for every 10lbs.
I cut a couple heads of cabbage in half and put those under the ribs/loin areas as a heat sink.

Back