Long time no post..

bigthirsty

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
had a bad experience with brisket back in March.. took a shot to the pride..

anyway tried a high temp brisket.. I'd say I averaged 300 degrees throughout.

It was nice and tasty (redemption!).. however, I have a question..

It fell apart when I sliced it. Is it because I foil it and the outside can't hold up to the knife? Am I slicing it wrong? Dont' get me wrong.. it was great but i'm used to slices..

thoughts?

3710215555_a13bbce7b1_b.jpg

Overdone?
Just asking. From the pic, that's what comes to me, and I should know, overcooked my last two briskets. Learning a new pit.

Did you let it rest for 30 minutes or more before you sliced it?
Also in my limited experience, I always used a good Chef's knife.
I think those serrated blades like you have there tear the meat up.
On a tender brisket it makes it worse.
You are cutting across the grain properly I see, so let it rest for
30-45 minutes loosely wrapped in foil, then try cutting it with a Chef's
knife. (straight edge without teeth)
Also, try cutting it in a smooth single cut; don't "saw" it back and forth
to much if you can help it.
Others will have ideas to help you as well, I'm sure.

Agree .. Looks Overdone and wrong kind of knife. The best I have found is a carver with Blood dimples in it. I also have a comercial slicer that I use and works fine if I let rest at least 30 min prior to slicing.

What was your internal temp when you pulled off the smoker? I have been pulling mine around 185 to 190 and seems abought right (No Foil Used, just Texas Rub & Smoke).

I'd say it cooked for 5 hours or so.

Took about 2 .. 2.5 hours to get up to 170..

Foiled it and then let it go. I checked at the 4 hour mark but it still didn't feel right (maybe it was..).. I left it on another hour or so and it was "wobbly" to say the least.

I let it set for about 40 minutes in tinfoil with a towell wrapped around in the microwave (microwave wasn't on).

Also the "wobbly" internal temp was 204

What temp did you cook at? Heck of a smoke ring so you may have put it in too cold. I cook my briskets for 8-10 hours at 225*

Heck of a smoke ring so you may have put it in too cold. *
I noticed the ring also and I don't recall my high temp cooks having a ring like that. Did you add or do something to the meat before smoking? Like a salt tenderizer?

Back