Select vs. Choice Brisket

B

bbqanthony

Do you notice much of a difference between Choice vs. Select brisket?

I've having a hard time finding Choice brisket in my area at a reasonable price, but can find Select packers at the local Smart and Final for $1.89/lb.

I can find Choice (flats only), but at $5.99/lb. Ouch!

I've not yet cooked a Select grade brisket, so was looking for input on Select vs. Choice.

Thanks.

BBQAnthony

I really haven't noticed a difference between the two. I will buy choice over select if it's available, but it's not a huge difference to me. Some of the best brisket I've cooked was select. I'd say cook a select brisket or two, take pictures, and then let us know what you think!

My local brisket connection always has choice briskets in stock and their regular price is $1.99/lb. every day of the week. Even on Sunday!

I cook and have won with select brisket. Not a noticeable difference.

It's my understanding that briskets aren't judged when deciding on prime, choice or select grades. Entire beef carcasses are judged. It doesn't always translate that every cut is better just because of the higher grade. I look at the brisket and make my call and the grade is just one factor.

It's my understanding that briskets aren't judged when deciding on prime, choice or select grades. Entire beef carcasses are judged. It doesn't always translate that every cut is better just because of the higher grade. I look at the brisket and make my call and the grade is just one factor.

That is the best explanation on this subject I have ever read.:eusa_clap
I look for choice or prime myself, but if select looks good, I buy it.

I have noticed a big difference. I notice a lot more juices and just a better overall end product. I just buy CAB now and thats all I cook for brisky. Plus at $1.85/lb for whole packers...cant beat it.

You learn something everyday here. Thanks!

I've been wondering this myself. I normally only cook Choice because i cant find prime and have never had any luck with select. The last select brisket i got looked great. alot of meat in the flat although evidently not alot of marbling. I trimmed to a little over 1/4" of fat, and rubbed it down. foiled at 165* as usual and pulled off about 195* or so. The flat was dry as could be. THe flat underneat the point was still moist and juicy. SO im owning it up to it just being the brisket. It will be made into a big pot of chili.

All of our comp briskets that placed in the top 3 were choice or prime. I prefer choice and I can also get choice packers cheaper than select anyway. Costco $1.48 lb. A large proportion of cooks that I know use choice or better on the circuit. We've experimented with select with no results worth mentioning.

Great topic.

I am in the same boat as bbqanthony. I can get packer select for 1.30 a pound but anything else like Choice or Cab is 5.99 a pound and thats for a flat.

I dont cook brisket very much though, And I guess for 1.30 a pound its worth it to buy and cook. I still have alot of learing on the brisket before I can add it to my list of great Q.

Thanks for the replies. Pricing and Choice packers obviously varies widely by region, with the Texas and Oklahoma folks having the best options.

I'm looking into some local meat wholesalers in my area to see if they will sell Choice packers to me...at a decent price.

BBQAnthony

Back