Trash Can Turkeys

I've only read about them and seen a couple pf pictures until now. I wonder if the galvanized coating produces any nasties during the cook.

Hmmmmm....

I've been to a few rodeos and a couple of hog shows but I've never seen any s*** like this.
I suppose necessity is the mother of invention. But I just don't see the reason to go out of your way to do this. Especially when it's time to pick the bird from the ash. And what happens to the grease as it runs from under the can into the coals?
I've been told by a number of people that it is not safe to cook with galvanized, do to some toxic gas that is produced from the heat.
I'd rather do a bird in the fryer or on the webber.

(My two cents)

Galvanized Steel
Galvanized steel should never be used for cookware or food storage since this may lead to zinc poisoning (aka heavy metal poisoning). Exposure to high levels of zinc can cause lethargy, dizziness, nausea, fever, diarrhea, irritability, muscular stiffness and pain, loss of appetite, and reversible pancreatic and neurological damage.

Pot stands and stoves constructed from galvanized steel can cause metal fume fever when heated. This is caused by the inhalation of zinc oxide fumes or dust produced when galvanized steel is welded or burned. The signs and symptoms can be vague (shaking chills, fever, body aches, headache, and fatigue) and are similar to those of the flu or a viral illness. Onset of symptoms often occur after well after exposure (3-10 hours) and makes the connection between using your stove and sickness less obvious than one would think. Symptoms usually resolve after 48 hours if you quit cooking with galvanized steel.

Metal Fume Fever has been linked with occupational asthma and is a pretty noxious illness.

wow I'm glad I never tried that. the next one I do will be one of those smoked-fried deals

Soon as I looked at the thumbnails I had the same thought: Galvanized. Bad chit when it gets hot. Have milk handy. Somehow milk is the antidote for galv sickness.

My bro-in-law is a welder who works with galv everyday. You should see his mask/breathing apparatus. Looks like something off an Alien movie. Not your regular welding helmet. If you breathe the fumes you'll get galv poisening. Bad news.

Dont cook with anything galvanized.

bbqjoe said:
... Exposure to high levels of zinc can cause lethargy, dizziness, nausea, fever, diarrhea, irritability, muscular stiffness and pain, loss of appetite, and reversible pancreatic and neurological damage....

I had 5 of the 11 symptoms this morning, but I think it was those farkin' double martini's with the beer chasers. :roll:

I cannot imagine burning aluminum foil can be all that good for you either.

bbqjoe said:
I've been to a few rodeos and a couple of hog shows but I've never seen any s*** like this.
I suppose necessity is the mother of invention. But I just don't see the reason to go out of your way to do this. Especially when it's time to pick the bird from the ash. And what happens to the grease as it runs from under the can into the coals?
I've been told by a number of people that it is not safe to cook with galvanized, do to some toxic gas that is produced from the heat.
I'd rather do a bird in the fryer or on the webber.

(My two cents)

I agree. A few bullet smokers would be easier to use and would not cost that much. Additionally I will never cook nor advocate anyone else cook with galvanized cook ware. Heavy metal poisoning is bad, bad, bad.

Back