Dallas area smoker/pit builders

TexasRedNeck

Reaction score
It apears that I have finally found the best site on the net for all things BBQ. I am a total newb so I am looking to get things started right. Can anyone reccomend some Dallas area builders. I am looking for a backyard size smoker.

Houston....Dave Klose. Good pits there man. Welcome to the site and the disease, check in at cattle call and introduce yourself. Scott

Yes Klose smokers are real nice, thillin has one and my chime in. They are pricy but very well worth it. The backyard model is very reasonable though. I know a guy who has a used Stumps for sale. You should be able to get a good bargain, he hasn't used it but a few times. I use one and love it.

It apears that I have finally found the best site on the net for all things BBQ. I am a total newb so I am looking to get things started right. Can anyone reccomend some Dallas area builders. I am looking for a backyard size smoker.

May I ask???
How many folks do you intend to cook for?
What kinds of meats in general, or all types?
How often do you intend or anticipate cooking?
Do you think you would love to sit by a smoker for hours on end and feed it? (Nothing wrong with that).
Or, would you prefer to set it up and then care for it every few hours? (Nothing wrong with that either).

If we know what your needs and expectations are, we can offer more informed comments.
It may be that the location of the builder is secondary to getting the best smoker for your needs.

Good luck in your quest.

And yes, Dave Klose is probably the class act builder of that type pit in TX.

TIM

Yes, like the Kapn says...what are your needs to begin with?

Welcome, and like Kapn said, give us a little more info on what you're looking for. Lots of used pits show up around this part of the state also.

Ty

Welcome and have you made your way into cattle call yet if not please do so :-D

You might consider buying a Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM) to get started. You will end up buying one someday anyway.:mrgreen:

Seriously, it is a great smoker for $200 shipped from Amazon. It will get you into some great Q very quickly and give you time to look around and find a good price on a larger unit.

Take a look at the signature lines on here and you will see many who have at least one WSM in their arsenal, no matter what else they have.

How many folks do you intend to cook for? Family of 5 to a party of 20

What kinds of meats in general, or all types? Anything and Everything

How often do you intend or anticipate cooking? No Idea

Do you think you would love to sit by a smoker for hours on end and feed it? (Nothing wrong with that). Not a problem

Or, would you prefer to set it up and then care for it every few hours? (Nothing wrong with that either). This would be great but not a must.

I have pretty much already decided to go the offset route vs. the bullet type smoker.

I really like the Klose backyard 20x36 but that is way more than I want to spend at the moment.

The Ok Joe Longhorn and Wild West Tradition at Academy are more what I was wanting to spend but may be willing to spend more.

I was hoping to find someone local that builds similar to the Klose but without the heafty price tag. I do understand that he is the best but I am not ready to pull that trigger yet.

I am open to going the used route as well so if anyone has something the are willg to get rif of please let me know.

You might consider buying a Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM) to get started. You will end up buying one someday anyway.:mrgreen:

Seriously, it is a great smoker for $200 shipped from Amazon. It will get you into some great Q very quickly and give you time to look around and find a good price on a larger unit.

Take a look at the signature lines on here and you will see many who have at least one WSM in their arsenal, no matter what else they have.

I am a big Weber freak. Right now I have a Weber Genesis E-310 and two 22 1/2 inch kettles. I do like the WSM and have read many wonderful things about them, but really want to go the offset route. I am sure I will eventually get one but right now would rather put that $200 towards a offset.

I own one from these guys in addition to my other stuff

www.pittsandspitts.com

Pitts and Spitts
A Texas Tradition

Pitt’s & Spitt’s has been a Texas Legend for over 25 years. In that time the boys at Pitt’s & Spitt’s have been mixing Old Texas Tradition with New Texas Flare in order to consistently produce “The Best Lookin’, Best Cookin’ BBQ Pits in Texas".

These simple facts have made Pitt’s & Spitt’s BBQ Pits famous throughout the world, as the premiere choice for top chefs, cook-off champions, caterers, celebrities, and even world dignitaries. Remember Pitt’s & Spitt’s for Quality, Class, and The Ultimate Barbeque Cooking Experience.

For getting started in offsets, why not go with a Bandera, about $200 at Academy. Do the modifications, and you will have a great piece of equipment. You can cook a lot of meat on the Bandera, and there are a bunch of people here that will help. Then you can upgrade later.

I gotta agree with gzac83 on his suggestion. There is a Bandera 101 link on the main page that will get you really fired up for a Bandera. If I were going to meddle with offsets, I'd start with a Bandera. But for now I'll stick with my Big Green Egg.

The guys at my fire station just pitched in and bought a Bandera from Academy. I would listen to these guys and try that route. It is a great unit. I was looking a few weeks back and saw one on craigslist in TX but don't remember where. Sorry. I would not even think twice about it especially because if you have problems with it you can return it there. The hinges on the smoke chamber door were welded in the wrong places and we are waiting for a new door from Char-broil. Ours was shipped from Nashville to AZ. So since I suggested that we buy a smoker I am dealing with 6 PO'd firemen who want to play with our new toy.

Be sure to do a search on CraigsList as well. There are a few on there now.

Red,
I know you are getting a lot of input and they are all good.
Years ago I started with the old New Braunfel's offset-smoker, nice little cooker that I believe is a great way to start and heck, even finish as far as I am concerned. But now, they are made by charbroil and are a bit lighter, but yet, you can start off with one of these and still do real well.
Horizontal or vertical is just a direction.
So, grab one that you dig, in your price range, and get smokin'.
Plenty of time to go high dollar later on, if you want to.
The old adage rings true, it ain't the pit, it's the pitmaster.

Checks www.craigslist.com everyday. In Sacramento a couple off-set smokers show up every week.

As I write this there are over 50 Smokers advertised form prices from $100.00 to $8,000 plus on http://dallas.craigslist.com

Search "smokers" and "bbq" in the General and Household categories.

Keep looking, you'll find what you want at a price you can afford.

pit

TexasRedNeck --

I'm looking to sell my offset. It was custom made by Bates Pits in Humble (www.batespitts.com), and it is a 20x48 with an offset 20x20 firebox. All .25" steel, wide tables, 2 stainless exhausts. It is about 2 years old and in good condition. It is much better than a hi-end unit you could get at Academy. Here are a couple pics. I live in Arlington. If you're interested, send me a private message or email. Thanks.

Dan

Attachments

• 2005 005.jpg
    2005 005.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 137
  • Big Iron 5 briskets and 8 butts.jpg
    Big Iron 5 briskets and 8 butts.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 136
Back