Disappointed BBQ Experience

tnfan47

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I've been eye ballin this bbq joint near my work for a quite a while. Decided to go there today and try out the brisket. Ordered a brisket sandwich and a couple sides. Total disappointed. It might as well be pot roast sandwich. The sides were okay, but already turned off by the brisket. Pretty much threw half of it away.

Anyone else would like to share their bad bbq experience?

Agreed. I was at a reputable establishment outside of Nashville. Unfortunately the Brisket was dry and the pulled pork was mush. On another note, doesn't this tell us why we have to keep cooking for ourselves.

That's typical for my experiences. It's better at home, but then again sometimes we go out and find the best we can. You don't know unless we try. And knowing is half the battle.

My search continues also. Went to a local place I've been driving by for years.
Read the reviews first. After I went, my review stated that folks giving it 5 stars have obviously never had quality Q.
I drove by a roadside one yesterday. I may stop in sometime and talk to him before I sample anything.

Everyone of my friends and family have said "you have ruined all BBQ resturantss for us" hahah mission accomplished! :boxing:

Yeah, that's the common answer I get. However, I do tell them if I had to cook that much meat at one time I doubt it would taste as good. Cooking a lot of meat at one time for the masses isn't an easy task. Especially if consistency and quality is what you're looking for (and it is). :thumb:

My worst experience was with a meat market in the town where I grew up. They had a small oil drum smoker out back, and kept a pot of chopped beef in sauce going up front. Not the sort of thing you'd dream of as barbecue, but if you were in there to get some meat anyway, the occasional sandwich wasn't that bad.

Until the time after I'd moved away and was back visiting family there and made a trip to that butcher shop we'd used for many years. I picked up a bag of their sandwiches for lunch. When I opened mine to add a shot of Tabasco, it was crawling with maggots.

The worst thing was that, when I took the bag full of maggoty sandwiches back, they didn't seem all that surprised. That was my last trip there.

A distant second place goes to what may have been the most heavily-advertised barbecue joint anywhere: Ward's BBQ, Shepherd, TX. All roads leading in its general direction were plastered with loads of signs advertising it, as well as what they called cider. The general advertising approach was sort of Burma-Shave on steroids, counting down the miles to go.

Needless to say, the meat was pretty grim and greasy, served on a pile of white bread, and the cider - in a choice of flavors - was a lot closer to Kool-Aid than to real cider. The place's only reason for its continued existence was that it was in the middle of nowhere. Hopefully it's long gone by now.

OK, I remember another bad one. One evening, a friend and I stopped at a barbecue joint which will remain nameless since it's probably still there. We needed to grab a quick meal before night classes at the University of Houston. We'd patronized this joint several times and found it to be adequate - better than the other dining options in that neighborhood, at any rate. But we'd always wondered about the menu item, "Rib Sandwich". I've since had rib sandwiches elsewhere, and the meat was removed from the bones before serving. This joint decided to play a little ethnic joke on us and served a short slab of ribs between four slices of white bread - bones and all. We found another place where the food wasn't much better, but at least the beer was cold.

Another for the hall of shame, which will also remain nameless: a joint on the outskirts of Brenham, TX, which featured barbecued mutton. Talk about a crime against nature.

OK, does anyone wonder why I do my own barbecue now?

Last edited:
My worst experience was with a meat market in the town where I grew up. They had a small oil drum smoker out back, and kept a pot of chopped beef in sauce going up front. Not the sort of thing you'd dream of as barbecue, but if you were in there to get some meat anyway, the occasional sandwich wasn't that bad.

Until the time after I'd moved away and was back visiting family there and made a trip to that butcher shop we'd used for many years. I picked up a bag of their sandwiches for lunch. When I opened mine to add a shot of Tabasco, it was crawling with maggots.

The worst thing was that, when I took the bag full of maggoty sandwiches back, they didn't seem all that surprised. That was my last trip there.

A distant second place goes to what may have been the most heavily-advertised barbecue joint anywhere: Ward's BBQ, Shepherd, TX. All roads leading in its general direction were plastered with loads of signs advertising it, as well as what they called cider. The general advertising approach was sort of Burma-Shave on steroids, counting down the miles to go.

Needless to say, the meat was pretty grim and greasy, served on a pile of white bread, and the cider - in a choice of flavors - was a lot closer to Kool-Aid than to real cider. The place's only reason for its continued existence was that it was in the middle of nowhere. Hopefully it's long gone by now.

:sick:

Those of us who cook our own BBQ, we put a lot of pride and passion into our craft. It's hard to go sit down at a restaurant and sing the praises of how good their BBQ is when we are comparing it to meat that came off a pit that we tended ourselves for many long hours cooked just the way we like it.

As far as BBQ restaurants are concerned, too many people open them in strip malls and other terrible locations where they don't have a smoke house to cook authentic Q so they have to resort to other cooking methods that unfortunately they think is acceptable. Another factor is time, time is money, and they do not take the time to painstakingly trim, brine, or rub the meat as it should be done to enhance the final flavors of the food.

Also When dining out Price, Quantity, and Quality are the 3 things that factor into the equation of perceived value for the money. It all depends on which of those factors the owner places their importance on. That persons value may not equal to ours, especially when it comes to determining a person's definition of quality food.

A cheap $3.00 steak will always taste like a cheap $3.00 steak no matter how you dress it up.

I have found that more times than not, eating at a bbq restaurant ends in utter disappointment.

Yes as a matter of fact and it was at one of the South Texas legends, Kreuz BBQ. They brag about how they don't have a sauce, but at least on the brisket I had there they need gallons of it. The brisket was dry, grey with no smoke ring and tough as leather. Pretty much tastless too. It really suprised me given their reputation. The rest of the joints in the Lockhart area were great!

I don't think this is limited to just Q. I've had plenty of mediocre restaurant offerings. I've given up on most chain establishments. There are some diamonds in the rough out there. For Q locally I've only tried a few spots. Lockharts is pretty consistent and the pitmaster is a brethren. The combo plater is about $20 and comes with brisket, pulled pork, quarter slab of ribs, a sausage and 2 sides. I like to make my own bit it's nice to get off of work and have some real Q sometimes.

Every BBQ meal I have had in airports falls in this category. Including the Salt Lick in DFW.

I don't think this is limited to just Q. I've had plenty of mediocre restaurant offerings. I've given up on most chain establishments. There are some diamonds in the rough out there. For Q locally I've only tried a few spots. Lockharts is pretty consistent and the pitmaster is a brethren. The combo plater is about $20 and comes with brisket, pulled pork, quarter slab of ribs, a sausage and 2 sides. I like to make my own bit it's nice to get off of work and have some real Q sometimes.

Brother you ain't lying. I love making my own Q but it is good sometimes to walk in and just eat. But it's hard to do that when the Q isn't even up to par to your own.

Sounds like a Dickey's BBQ.

Why would anyone spend good money to buy one of their franchises?

The quality of restaurant BBQ will never stack up against what we can make in our backyard.

If you want a really good eye-opening exercise, try to figure the cost of a plate of comp BBQ to sell to the public. Don't worry about rent, maintenance, utilities, employees or anything else. Just look at raw food cost. (Well, maybe not raw). There is absolutely no way that will ever happen, so just stay home.

Ha,.. that's funny you said comp. Q. Because most of the sentiments offered here on Q places is the same way I feel about comp. Q. Just gross and out of touch with what the real stuff is.

just sayin...

EDIT: However, as others have also stated, I have no-doubt that running a place would be very difficult. So hats off to those that do and maintain quality. I personally do not go out for bbq. ever. It's my favorite thing to do, so that would be like watching someone else ride my motorcycle.... just,... no.....

I have gone out fro Q twice this year at two new locations that have popped up.Both Sucked big time! I won't go in to the details here. I think the biggest problems are Southern pride pits letting the gas do the yoemans work, Cooking more than they sell and holding it for two long. Since most places have no formal training in a commercial setting they are in over their heads. However BBQ is hot right now so if the sign says BBQ they will come. Most of the general public think of BBQ as Burgers & dogs or get their Q from a bottle they are ignorant of what good BBQ is so sloppy over cooked ribs and dried out Brisket is of no consequence.

Back