Mystery Meat

Bigmista

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Ok I went to Restaurant Depot to buy a coupla briskets. I grabbed a nice 11 pounder and I grabbed what I thought was a 12 pounder. It was shaped like a brisket. It had a nice looking fat cap. It was mixed in with the briskets.

After I injected it and took it out of the cryovac, I noticed the grains were running in an unusual direction. And even though it was fatter on one end there was no fat separating the nose and the flat.

I grabbed the package and read "Premium CH Angus Bottom Round Flats".

WTF is that?!?

I had already injected it and opened it. I couldn't take it back and even if I wanted to Restaurant Depot is closed. I have to deliver 16 brisket dinners tomorrow and some of them ain't gonna be brisket.

Anybody have any ideas about this cut of beef and will smoking it destroy it?

Its for pot roast.

we made that at the bash.. it was that big ole hung of beef that chad threw in the cooker the first night and we were hacking slices off of it.

leaner than brisket, but still good for low and slow. tasted like roast beef, not brisket.

It will be interesting to taste it next to the brisket.

BBQchef33 said:
Its for pot roast.

we made that at the bash.. it was that big ole hung of beef that chad threw in the cooker the first night and we were hacking slices off of it.

leaner than brisket, but still good for low and slow. tasted like roast beef, not brisket.

MISTA.....That was some GOOD chit....
I know you will come out smelling like a rose with this.

Your RUB and Your Sauce...(if needed)....
GO FOR IT Brother !!

Here are some pics. Mystery meat is on the left...

Attachments

• brisketvsround1.jpg
    brisketvsround1.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 185
  • brisketvsround2.jpg
    brisketvsround2.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 185
Deliver it with a bottle of Jack. Have them drink a toast to your great food, get them hammered and they won't know the difference.
KickAss has an answer for eveything. Just ask my wife.
Smoke On!!!!!

The mystery meat looks more like a brisket than the brisket does! I can see where you'd not catch that in the store. So how is it?

THey are in the cooler now. I'm about to make the sides and thenI will cut them. I'll take pics when I do.

Here are the pics of the finished cook.

This is the brisket, fresh from the foil...

brisketvsround3.jpg

First cut...

brisketvsround4.jpg

Slicing the flat...

brisketvsround5.jpg

Sliced point dinner...

brisketvsround6.jpg

Busting open the mystery meat...

brisketvsround7.jpg

It was kinda dry in the center but a dunk in the jus fixed that...

brisketvsround8.jpg

Comments?

Interesting array of colors on your mystery meat.
What film do you use in that digital camera?

So how does it taste?

Neil--Ya Da Man !!!!

I would never have dreamed you could cook bottom round like brisket and not have it go to leather on you.

TIM

The bottom round tasted good but it was even better when dipped in the jus. I had to cut it in to blocks before I sliced it. When it started falling apart, I just cut it into bite sized chunks. It was tender and not chewy at all.

Mista - I may be talkin' out my arse, but here is an idea... Is there any chance it's a gooseneck cut?

A guy that taught me about Q'in 10 years ago had been running Q joints for 20 or 30 years. He told me he always bought goosenecks from the suppliers because they are bigger and cheaper.

He said a gooseneck is the upper back leg of a cow and cooks & tastes just like brisket and are normally around 20+ pounds. I mentioned I had never seen "gooseneck cut" at the grocery store and he said it's a commercial food supplier cut.

I don't know much about butcherin' though. Just thought I would throw this out there for coments.

ps. Your pics are excellent. I can smell it through the monitor all the way out here in Okieville!!

leebos right... That beef flat is PART of the gooseneck. We had it at the bash too.. its not a brisket, diferent taste and texture, but was real good. Best way to describe it?? BEEFY. We were sawing hunks of it most of the day, then it got left out overnight and rained on so it wound up goinf to waste about halfway thru it.

Well th hunk that was left will be going hunked up and going in to something like that Sauce Piquant that someone (I think it was either queball or noah) was talking about.

Thanx! Had a ball cooking it. It was definitely interesting when I knock my therm off of the balcony while the alarm was going of at 3 inthe morning...

Back