UDS Build: Mentor Needed :)

Gorleen

Found some matches.
All,

I live in Northern IL (near Gurnee) and very intrigued with the Ugly Drum Smokers. Initially I was hoping to purchase a unit, but I cannot afford some of the prices quoted or the drive is way to far. So I have decided to build my own. I am not very mechanically inclined, but I am willing to put in the effort. Anyone in the area willing to give a newbie a hand. Looking for a mentor. I am tad nervous... I willing to pay - beer, food, cash whatever is necessary....

FYI: I have limited tools, never cut metal, and do not know how to weld - I am such a good catch :)

I believe I have located a barrel and will begin my hunt for parts this weekend.

Thanks for reading this post and I appreciate all the help I can get.

Gorleen ,
Am a newbie & relatively close to you. Am also mechanically incompetent. Just started my own UDS project with a kit from Big Poppa Smokers & it is coming along really well so far. Almost ready to burn & paint. The BPS kit is a great alternative & fairly easy on the budget. No welding or special tools required. Just a drill. Might want to check them out.

Gorleen ,
Am a newbie & relatively close to you. Am also mechanically incompetent. Just started my own UDS project with a kit from Big Poppa Smokers & it is coming along really well so far. Almost ready to burn & paint. The BPS kit is a great alternative & fairly easy on the budget. No welding or special tools required. Just a drill. Might want to check them out.

This...and it's set up to easily convert over to grilling/searing just by lifting the charcoal to a different level... Just a quality good looking unit.

Sent you a PM. I live right around the corner, and there's a cheap source for barrels in Grayslake as well.

Shagdog and Chris - Thanks guys... I am going to take you up on the offer.

Shagdog, if you can connect me with the source in grayslake for a drum, that would be great. I found one on craiglist, but I would have to travel to Elkhorn Wisconsin.

Again, Thanks and I will PM you both...

Shagdog and Chris - Thanks guys... I am going to take you up on the offer.

Shagdog, if you can connect me with the source in grayslake for a drum, that would be great. I found one on craiglist, but I would have to travel to Elkhorn Wisconsin.

Again, Thanks and I will PM you both...

Gorleen,

Look at the red line in my signature. He was talking about me. :-D

I'm sure you are all set as far as help is concerned but I am local as well (near O'Hare) and can lend a hand if you need one.

Big Poppa's kit will really speed up your build time however 15 minutes @ Home Depot will get you everything you need for parts. Shaggy and/or oifmarine will have all the tools you need. It really is very simple you just need to be pretty close on a few things and everything else can be fudged a little.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing progress pics.
Mike

Back