Fire Box

chargriller

Full Fledged Farker
Hello All,

I am new to the group and new to smoking in general, I have just picked up a Char-Griller and am just loving it.

Now I am starting to try my fire box, how is the best way to clean the ash out while you are burning the charcoal?

When I was seasoning it I noticed the ash build up under the charcoal, which this would cause air not to flow under the hot coal. I am not sure if I am even putting the charcoal grate in correctly in the fire box.

I have the grate in the box with the sides of the grate pointing up, is this correct or do they need to point down? If they point down this would give them a higher shelf to sit on, but if you go to pull the coal tray out they would all fall over the place.

If someone could help me out that would be great. I do plan on burning lump when I can, I do remember when I used it in my kettle it produced very little ash, so this might be another option.

Thank for the help.

I have a Chargriller but I don't have the firebox. I thought there was a tray that slid out but I don't know for sure. The charcoal grate needs to raised for airflow under the coals. Personally I use an old pair of tongs to push ash out of the way off to the side while I amd cooking but there people here who are much smarter than me that probably have much beter solutions.

It would probably be helpful if you could post pictures of the inside of your fire box so we could offer suggestions.

Welcome and feel free to join the fray!

Mista

Thanks for the info.

Yes, the fire box has a shelf that slides out but the charcoal grate also sits inside of it. So when you pull the ash pan out you get everything including the charcoal grate.

Later this evening I will post some photo's of the box like I have it setup, this will help a lot.

Char-
--------------
(aka Rob K.)

You might try getting 4 stainless bolts, 8 stainless nuts and 8 stainless warshers and position the bolts on the corners of the charcoal grate with nut s& warshers on bottom and top of the grate. Presto, you will have more ash room.

Chargriller welcome to the group, but take a little time to drop by cattle call and introduce yourself. We don't bite much :)

BigAl said:
You might try getting 4 stainless bolts, 8 stainless nuts and 8 stainless warshers and position the bolts on the corners of the charcoal grate with nut s& warshers on bottom and top of the grate. Presto, you will have more ash room.

I'm always happy when the handy people show up! I don't know a bolt from a brick!

Bigmista said:
I'm always happy when the handy people show up! I don't know a bolt from a brick!

Bolts have ridges on them.

Bricks work in the post office.

Next!

which this would cause air not to flow under the hot coal
ash buildup causes two problems, it does prevent air circulation as you suspected. Also ash is full of little glowing embers, IMO these little embers eat up a lot of the available oxygen without producing any appreciable heat to the cause. If you're several hours into a cook and suddenly have problems maintaining heat, cleaning out the ash will usually solve the problem.

I never thought about cleaning out the ashpan during the cook. Do any of you other guys do this?

scottm4300 said:
I never thought about cleaning out the ashpan during the cook. Do any of you other guys do this?

Yep.........fireplace shovel and a bucket. Standard practice with my Bandera, clear the ash after 6 hours. Usually will raise the temp about 25* or a little more.

Back