"barbecue" tamales (and "traditional" too)

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Each year a week or two before Christmas, my wife and her side of the family make Mexican tamales as tradition. Usually there's a chicken mole, a green chile pork, rajas (which I'm pretty sure is just straight peppers), and a "dulce" or sweet tamale.

I'd been wanting to experiment with subbing "barbecue" into the tamales for a while and I decided this was the year. I cooked a prime brisket from Costco on the Mak 2* and used Oakridge BBQ Black Ops (it tastes like taco seasoning afterall :thumb:) and a Boston butt along with it using Oakridge BBQ Smokey Chile Lime. They both turned out really well.

We used the Smokey Chile Lime pork in the "pork chile verde" tamales, as well as the "barbecue" inspired ones that were mixed with Caribbean Cowboy BBQ sauce, which as the name implies, is a bit on the sweet side. I chopped up a mix of the brisket point's burnt ends and then some flat that I thought would work well and mixed it with one of my favorite "Kansas City" style sauces - Jack Stack Spicy.

The masa was mixed with lard (duh, is there any other way?), some stock, salt, and baking powder and kneeded by hand for a _long_ time. I'd have just used the Kitchenaide mixer but what do I know?

Masa placed in corn husks, meat of whatever variety laid on top, then folded up and steamed on the oven.

All the tamales turned out very well, the SCL was nice in the chile verde, though I didn't care for the sweet "barbecue" style pork tamales...I dont care for sweet things most of the time and I definitely don't like the pink dulce tamales. The "barbecue" pork tamales reminded me of those. However, the chopped beef brisket tamales with the Jack Stack Spicy sauce worked "real well", maybe it was the "taco seasoning" rub, not sure. But I'll definitely be making more of those, and probably making the meat mixture "saucier", as the masa seems to absorb a lot of it, unsurprisingly.

But brisket burnt end tamales with the right sauce :thumb: and know that I know the masa recipe and method....watch out :crazy:

Those look great! Nice tradition too.

Neither my wife or I had any idea what they were when we moved to El Paso years ago. For the record, and benefit of any other gringos that haven't had a tamale, they are way better when you eat them the way you show vs not unwrapping it... :oops:

Tamales are a labor of love...

Yours look fantastic, and it's fun to see the experimentation with tweaks on the traditional recipes.

Please explain how you steam your tamales in the oven. I've only used a stove top steamer.

2081c476.jpg

The OP said "steamed on the oven", which in many households is a stove top. At least that is what I came away with.

Hard to beat a good tamale except a tamale made with smoked meats.

Yes...I meant stove. I’m gonna blame the beer :becky:

1) Totally guilty of overly bourboned posts
2) Love it. Thanks for the post, My personal favorite cooks are those where I can smoke something and then use that ingredient in a method where there wasn't normally a smoked component.
3) I was highly curious about a technique that thirdeye didn't know about. That's not a common occurrence.

I was just telling some folks the other night that I want to A) learn how to make tamales, and B) work on a BBQ version of them. Are you reading my mind?

I would really like to try making tamales some time. Good idea with the BBQ leftovers.

While not technically challenging, it is definitely a lot of work. My MIL works off "taste" not measurement so I've been trying to have her show me her recipes while I weigh or measure everything out and that sort of thing to get them down on paper "scientifically".

While I like eating brisket sandwiches as much as the next guy.....sometimes variety is nice too. So tamales seem like a logical move :thumb:

Those look great Suds! If you ever want to whip up a quick batch, they sell ready made masa at Tortilleria San Antonio in KCK. But, it sounds like you've got the masa recipe dialed in already

Back