Medium Spicewine charcoal basket question

thillin

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
How tall are most baskets made? How tall is too tall? Hoping to take on this project this week and want to buy the expaned today.

Thanks

Short enough to slide under the water pan.

My basket for my Med. is 6" tall 17"wide and 20" long and made it into the maze pattern.....and it'll burn for a long time..

My basket for my Med. is 6" tall 17"wide and 20" long and made it into the maze pattern.....and it'll burn for a long time..

outside solid or expanded? Pic?

Picked up a sheet of expanded today. Need to decide the best way to cut it. Thinking of a cutting disc on my 18v Dewalt hand saw. Will make a few test cuts first. Also going to cut 2 pieces for cooking shelves. I have some 1" angle iron to make the frame for the shelves.

Thanks for the input guys!

Started cutting. Dang battery doesn't last very long. Back on the charger. Might try with a metal blade on the jig saw since I'm impatient. Got a shelf worth of expanded cut. And one side of the basket.

I had bad luck with a jigsaw myself but it was probably because mine's old and tired. I found that a cutoff blade on an angle grinder worked the best.

I had bad luck with a jigsaw myself but it was probably because mine's old and tired. I found that a cutoff blade on an angle grinder worked the best.

Yep, by time I tried the jigsaw, the Dewalt was charged. The cutoff blade does good, but the saw drains the battay fast. I need to break down and buy an angle grinder. I've used the jigsaw on the smaller guage, probably take forever if I had to use it now.

Here's what I'm using.
DSCN4953.jpg

I was able to get 1 shelf and the 2 sides of the basket cut before this afternoon showers.

DSCN4954.jpg

It is making some nice clean cuts

Got the rest of the expanded cut today. Need to use my brother-in-laws cutoff saw to cut the angle iron for the 4 corners and the angle iron for the 2 additional shelves. But since the NASCAR race is in town, may not be able to get it until next weekend. Then hopefully we'll get them welded up. I'll post pics when done.

Back