Pressure cooker question

tony76248

is Blowin Smoke!
This being a BBQ oriented site Low and Slow, (I may be asking the wrong bunch here) vs. Fast and Furious. My question is who has a good timetable on how long you cook with these things. The reason I ask is that, you really can not open the pot up and check your progress.

I will use mine mostly for canning hot sauce but I will also use it for frozen meat, You can cook a couple of pounds of frozen country ribs pretty darn fast in one. Then add the meat to peppers, onions and italian sauce. It is really good, but sometimes I over do it. Any help?

Pressure cooker

I can do a pot of beans and ham in approx. 45min. but during the middle of the cook I have to open and add more water!!!Don't anybody throw any rocks at me but oriental style bbq ribs are kickbutt in a press. cooker too

Yes, never ever reheat spaghetti sauce in a pressure cooker.
Neighbor did it once and forgot about it on the stove.
*Repaint ceiling mod*

Here's a website with lots of pressure cooker information.

The link is to the chart - I'm not sure this is what you're looking for.
http://missvickie.com/howto/times/howtomeat.html

I usually brown the meat and then add liquid, veggies, etc. and finish at about 15 minutes per pound...I've also cooled it, added the veggies and then finish the veggies.

I'd recommend a good pressure cooker cookbook...or some of the websites like the one above.

bbqjoe said:
Yes, never ever reheat spaghetti sauce in a pressure cooker.
Neighbor did it once and forgot about it on the stove.
*Repaint ceiling mod*

My mom was pressure cooking some Spanish bean soup (this was back in about 1960 or so)...she hadn't quite cooled the cooker -- bean soupe EVERYWHERE! Fortunately, not on her.

chad said:
Here's a website with lots of pressure cooker information.

The link is to the chart - I'm not sure this is what you're looking for.
http://missvickie.com/howto/times/howtomeat.html

I usually brown the meat and then add liquid, veggies, etc. and finish at about 15 minutes per pound...I've also cooled it, added the veggies and then finish the veggies.

I'd recommend a good pressure cooker cookbook...or some of the websites like the one above.

Ok Chad thanks, I went to that site and think my problem will be solved by adding a bit more water to the cooker.

tony76248 said:
Ok Chad thanks, I went to that site and think my problem will be solved by adding a bit more water to the cooker.

Just like in que - "heat is your friend"

the corrallary is, with pressure cookers - "water/liquid is your friend":-D

i use a pressure cooker from circa 1950. Passed down from my mom.

Makes awesome rice, as soon as the pressure builds up(15lbs), take it off the heat and let it sit for 8 minutes.

Cooking pork in Sauce, cuts time in half.

Beef ribs/briskets/pot roast in 2 hrs.

the recipe book says it makes pasta in 3 minutes, but i havent tried that. Suppose to cook it IN the sauce.............. NOT!! ...

Stuffed artichokes in 5 minutes. All veggies in half the time.. They are great tools once ya figure them out.

About a year ago we had a brisket "bomb" at a cookoff -- bastig wouldn't finish -- took the thing home and pressure cooked it for about 30 minutes with some sauce...made great pulled sandwiches!!

The pressure cooker is a great tool to have in the arsenal.

The pressure cooker is basically the Microwave of the stovetop.

bbqjoe said:
The pressure cooker is basically the Microwave of the stovetop.

And they are a lifesaver at higher elevations too. I also really like the broth that is produced in that closed environment.

Here is some pressure cooked pork butt for tamales.

327c374d.jpg

I have a brand new pressure cooker that has been in the box for a few years. Some day I'm going to have to get it out and give it a try.

Guido.. its a great toy.. take it out, throw in some country ribs or a pork butt(cut up) with your sauce and cook it for 3-4 hours.. You'll see what i mean.

Back