Pressure Cooker?

JMSetzler

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
John
I recently bought a pressure cooker to help me make stocks in a little less time. Are any of the Brethren using pressure cookers to make dishes to be served with your Q?

I recently bought a pressure cooker to help me make stocks in a little less time. Are any of the Brethren using pressure cookers to make dishes to be served with your Q?

I've been married for 21 years. I live IN a pressure cooker. :drama:

But, sorry no, not unless I have some canning to do.

I have an electric 6 qt use it almost everyday. It fast and save engery also the food taste wonderful. It is also great for steaming

I have a Pressure Canner.I only use it for canning things that cannot be waterbathed.It is REALLY big with the wingnuts all around the top.I have heard great things about the electric pressure cookers though.

I have a cooker and canner. BBQ wise I use it to finish smoked cured meats like pastrami, tounge, heart...etc. The cuts that you really need to tenderize. I also use it to shred venision or beef and make gravy for the base of shepards pie instead of burger.

And if you haven't made shepards pie with real meat and gravy...it's a must.

Fried Chicken? Like Colonel Sanders started? Anyone?
Tho, I don't really care for the "original recipe" KFC.

We use it for all kinds of stuff, stews, beans, etc.

Our pressure cooker just gave out. I think it is the gasket. Gonna get a new one.

The ones made in Indian have a rack in them with three or more shelves. This way more then one dish can be made in the same pressure cooker, or you can take the rack out and use it regular.

I have a 5qt and use it a lot. Probably for more things non-bbq related. Making stock and soup are great in the pressure cooker. But ditto on finishing pastrami after smoking. I also have a mac n cheese recipe that is really good in there where i'll throw in some leftover smoked meat while it cooks. I also use it to reheat frozen meatballs that I make with sauce.

One thing I have not been successful with that is bbq related is baked beans in the pressure cooker. The beans are not as good a consistency as if you soak and then boil. It still is ok in a pinch though.

We use pressure cookers a lot for Indian cooking. Good for beans or lentils in a hurry, but we use it mainly for goat curry. We have a couple, but here's our newest (and favorite) one... it even matches my Performer!!! Well, at least half of my Performer.

Attachments

• pressure cooker.jpg
    pressure cooker.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 46
We use it for all kinds of stuff, stews, beans, etc.

Our pressure cooker just gave out. I think it is the gasket. Gonna get a new one.

I shoulda done that with my truck - threw a belt this weekend. Coulda been rollin' in a new King Ranch. Stupid me, just replaced the belt. :boxing:

* No one mentioned the speed thaw. Frozen block of meat to something you can cut up and throw back into stew/soup/chili in minutes.

Last edited:
These went out of style here several decades back when people were afraid of them exploding. What you get now has many safety features to prevent accidents. We were re-introduced to them in Spain, as every home has one. Even our extended-stay hotel room included a pressure cooker! We use ours especially in winter for stews. I have never had beans, especially garbanzos, cooked as nicely as in one of these. I actually detested garbanzos before I had them cooked in one. They are extremely versatile and another underutilized tool here.

Back