Tips and Advice For My First Smoked Chuck Roast

smokey and the brisket

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I just picked up 2 chuck roasts to throw in the smoker on saturday. I thought this would be fun and something different than my usual weekend adventures. Any advice from the brethren would be greatly appreciated!

I too am setting out on that same venture tomorrow. Since it is my first time too, I can't share from experience, but I'll share what I did. First I rubbed that baby down with some whole grain mustard, then I put a rub of salt, brown sugar, black pepper, cinnamon, onion, garlic, smoked paprika, and chipotle. I'm going to smoke it at 225 for about twelve hours with mesquite and cherry blend. Then I'm going to pull it for sammiches.

I just picked up 2 chuck roasts to throw in the smoker on saturday. I thought this would be fun and something different than my usual weekend adventures. Any advice from the brethren would be greatly appreciated!

Cover both lightly with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper both sides. Let sit in fridge overnight. Throw them on the smoker next day 225 F to 250 F. Halfway through the cook, wrap em up in foil. When internal temp around 200 F, pull them out. When you feel like it, put them both in a container and shred them up like pulled pork.

I did this about a year ago and they turned out fine. My take anyway.

Just did a couple yesterday. Mustard, ployboys rub, on smoker at 250. Put em in a pan when they hit 165. Took them off when they hit 200. Let them rest in foil for a bit and then pulled. Awesome.

Oh and throw some potatoes, carrots and onion in the pan toward the end too if you want some veggies...

I slice mine just like doing brisket. Cook 225-250 and wrap in foil at 165 and finish cooking to 190-195. For the price I do Chuck roast all the time vs. brisket.

Order the Oakridge comp beef and pork rub and follow the others cooking instructions. Best flavor you will eat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is a recent cook I did for a chuckie Throwdown

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1741159

DSCN0880.jpg

If I'm doing pulled chuckies, this is what I do.

Salt, Pepper, Granulated/Powdered Garlic. Wrap in foil and stash in fridge overnight.

Morning, smoke over cherry at ~250 until internal hits 165. Wrap in foil and add 2 Tbsp of Worchestershire. Stick probe through the foil and continue cooking. At this point, you can continue in your smoker, or finish in the oven. When it starts to fork apart (around 195 or higher), take it out and let it rest. When it hits 150 or so resting, pull it and then you can do what you want. Stash in the fridge for later, or top with rub, sauce, for sammies, or whatever.

Thanks to all for the advice. I have been wanting to try some new rubs and will look into that one for sure. This time i am going to use the Happy Hollar rub that i picked up at the meat market today.

Don't be surprised if they don't pull as easy as a butt. Mine haven't but are still awesome. I love using them for tacos with a Mexican rub.

I will definitely try doing one with a mexican rub for tacos. That sounds great! I gotta start getting pics of all the stuff i cook so i can share. All these photos are makin me hungry!

I have never pulled my chuckies. I slice them. I always take them up to 195-205, or until my thermapen slides though almost like butter. I don't foil during the cook, but I have nothing against foiling. I do wrap my chuckies in foil and put them in a cooler full of towels to rest after cooking.

CD

Pulled chuckie, with fairly large chunks is some of the best BBQ I've ever tasted. Specially the first time tasting it, flavor explosion.

Wow all of those dishes look great. Roughly how long would a 7-9 lb. chuckie take to cook on a UDS. I think I might have to swing by the store and grab one to try on Sunday. What time would I need to have this on Sunday morning to enjoy it during the game at night? Great job everyone.

What is a standard size of a store bought chuckie? Does 7-9 lbs seem to high? I have never bought one so I don't know how big the come in the store.

Thanks for sharing that recipe! I am going back to the produce stand first thing in the morning. It will be a crowd pleaser for sure!

Just one tip -- if you're going to pull your chuckie, take it all the way to 205°. Make sure a probe doesn't hit any toughness. Takes about 20% longer than an equivalent chunk of pork shoulder in my experience.

I use CYM and Plowboy's Bovine Bold, dusted on lightly. Ya, baby!

Back