BBQ Brethren "BBQ PIZZA" Throwdown!

Six pages of sheer lunacy and not a single entry yet....

Seems normal....

Biggy.. you back from the beer run yet. Did they have any Fosters???

Six pages of sheer lunacy and not a single entry yet....

Seems normal....

Biggy.. you back from the beer run yet. Did they have any Fosters???

It's only been one day since the TD started. :twitch:

CD

Lunacy cannot start until Monday..............New Moose Rules........:shock:

What, there are special rules?!?!

Geez, what does it take for y'all to quit yammering and actually post a cook? :p

Well get ready to eat some humble pie... pizza pie that is, 'coz I'm about to throw some down! let's get this BBQ Pizza Throwdown rolling!

*** cue my theme music*** This is my official entry for the BBQ Pizza Throwdown. Did I say that right?

Finally found some tipo 00 flour locally, without having to pay an arma and a leg for it. So, Fri night I mixed up a batch of pizza dough (recipe from the Forno Bravo website) and let it ferment/rise in the refrigerator overnight.
IMAG1472_zpsf5dd46e4.jpg

Also marinated some turkey breast tenderloins in tandoori spices.
IMAG1474_zpsfea4fcdc.jpg

Next morning (Sat), the weather was beautiful! Perfect day for a throwdown cook. Fired up the eggs and some tunes, made a cup of coffee, and got to work.
IMAG1476_zpsf5f1b917.jpg

Started by grilling the tandoori turkey on the large egg.
IMAG1482_zps8ea3b634.jpg

Put the pizza stone in the large and let it come up to temp. Meanwhile, grilled some veggies for some of the pies on the small egg.
IMAG1486_zps82da3a66.jpg

The dough looked great after the overnight fermentation. Punched it down, let it rise again and rolled out 4 crusts. I used half the recipe from the Forno Bravo site and made four 10-11" pies.
IMAG1479_zps98b4a76a.jpg

IMAG1493_zps471a644d.jpg

Dressed the ladies up, and got ready to cook the pies.
IMAG1495_zps0633fa4a.jpg

Had to pause for hydration. The weather was spectacular. Like the new mod to my small egg? :-D
IMAG1496_zps5a06ee2e.jpg

IMAG1497_zpsafbf24ff.jpg

IMAG1498_zps6656e810.jpg

Pizzas were on for 5mins, spun around 180°, parchment paper removed, then another 5mins. I noticed that the tipo 00 doesn't brown like AP flour does. The crusts did get cracker-crispy though.

First up - Pizza Margherita - Tomatao sauce, mozz pearls, tomato, basil, garlic, dressed with EVOO.
IMAG1502_zps56d0f2a9.jpg

Second - grilled veggie medley - grilled veggies (poblano, yellow peppers, red peppers, green peppers, jalapenos, onions) and mushrooms.Dressed with pecorino romano cheese.Finished with ghost pepper salt which totally made this pie awesome.
IMAG1503_zps6984a8d8.jpg

Third - turkey pepperoni and grilled veggies, with red onions. Also dressed with pecorino romano and jalapeno slices. OOOPS!! ... I forgot to take a pic of this one. :doh: See below for a glimpse of a slice (top left corner).

Fourth (and last) - tandoori turkey! Also with grilled onions, peppers, and some left over ikra in the sauce from a while ago.
IMAG1509_zps9ef19090.jpg

And a side profile pic ( sorry for the blur - farkin phone autofocus picked the wrong part of the image to focus on):
IMAG1512_zps24356497.jpg

A sampler plate:
IMAG1511_zps0038a05f.jpg

The boys cooling down after a morning of cooking.
IMAG1514_zps33326f5c.jpg

I leave myself at the mercy of the Throwdown gods to select a picture as my entry for voting during this throwdown.

I had a wonderful Saturday morning, sitting by my cookers, drinking a few brews, and listening to some tunes. Much better therapy than a shrink!

Hope everyone else had a great weekend too!

It's a shame that Caliking has no idea how to cook.

Fark! Looks like I am out of this one already

Ya know, I was almost bought in to caliking's cook right until he showed his farkin' pool waaaaaaaaaay too many times. I still have a foot of snow on the ground and I am sure that is nothing compared to people further north. Oh well, enjoy the summer in Houston :thumb:

BTW, pies look mighty fine regardless. What is the trick to getting the dough so thin and even?

Nice pies and as for the pics of your pool................:mad2: I got over 30" on the ground with 16" more coming on Tuesday. Any more an I be grilling on the, farking, roof...:mmph: But, boy those are some great pizzas.

Hey, that's not fair! Can you enter four pizzas? :mmph:

CD :becky:

Here it comes. I thought I would step outside the box on this one, so here goes. Unfortunately mother nature decided to play a part in today's cooking.

Started with a basil, oregano, garlic pizza dough.

IMG_1166Custom_zpsd92a955b.jpg

After sitting for a few hours, it was time to get the show on the road.

I got the kid to make the filling for the deep dish pizza.

macncheeseCustom_zps98ae2429.jpg

While that was cooking, I got the grill on to get nice and hot and got out the dough. A little rolling and it was ready.

pizzadoughCustom_zpsd39fb658.jpg

Now for some of the filling. Some chopped Chorizo, sprinkling of parmesan and a little pepper jack cheese.

chorizapizzaCustom_zps4627b0d9.jpg

extracheeseCustom_zps5b53c2c2.jpg

readyforthegrillCustom_zpse99b32bb.jpg

Then it was time for the grill. Remember I said Mother Nature wanted in on the fun?

snowCustom_zps2cd7156c.jpg

almostdoneCustom_zps171fdcf0.jpg

After about 10 minutes on the grill it was time to bring it in. Well not thinking too clearly I grabbed my welding mitts, the one I use to pull hot stuff off the grill, and went out side. Well I certainly learned the folly of my ways, as they 400+ degree cast iron pans were really hot. Luckily it was only a minor burn to one finger. Lesson learned to grab my silicon slip on handle as well as the welding gloves for getting the hot stuff off the grill.

macncheesechorizopizzaCustom_zps5543b4f4.jpg

And the official entry for the Pizza Throwdown, and the proverbial money shot...

themoneyshotCustom_zpsbaa65bb5.jpg

It was delicious.

Thanks for looking.

Dean

A wet or moist welding gloves does very little to prevent heat. But, your sacrifice looks like it was worth it.

Back