Air Compressor Smoker

Kalbi

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Newbie here, just posted in the "Cattle Call" forum and did a short introduction. My neighbor was getting rid of his old 25 or 28 gallon air compressor and I thought it would be a good smoker, but I've never smoked before, so what do I know...

I'm done doing all the fittings and I'm ready to take the fittings off, do a final wire brushing, and then paint it with rattle can header paint before "seasoning" And was wondering if I had enough exhaust and air intake.

It has:
- One 1" full port ball valve air intake
- Four 1/2" exhaust ports (90 degree)

It also has two threaded fittings on the lid. One is perfect for the thermometer so is seemed a waste not to use it as such, and one 1/4" one I plan to use for digital meat thermometer.

I'll also be using smoker gaskets on the lid and the steel bar I welded around the bottom.

Any thoughts? I've got thick skin.

- Brian

I'd imagine that setup should work just fine. It might be a good idea to elevate your basket from your ash pan to help with airflow. A few bolts and washers could give your basket some feet. Other than that I say go for it and see how it burns.

It looks pretty cool , but I think you're going to need more exhaust , on my UDS I'm running a 2.5" exhaust and it cruises along at 225° for about 16 hours on a load of charcoal

Welcome to the forum. Looks like it will work. I would suggest mounting the motor back on the top, paint it to it's original compressor color and mount a coiled hose to it with regulator and then cook that brisket,.. but that's just me. :biggrin1: Looking forward to seeing how it works out.

Thanks for the ideas...plan on getting it done this weekend if I just don't sit around looking while drinking and thinking...
It might be a good idea to elevate your basket from your ash pan to help with airflow. A few bolts and washers could give your basket some feet.
I was thinking about that. Right now it rests on a grate sitting on the ash catcher from my old Weber. I'm thinking of using metal rods that would both be used as feet on the bottom and hold a diffuser on the top. Any idea of how high above the the basket the diffuser shoudl be?

...I think you're going to need more exhaust l
Thanks, I'm going to add one more exhaust...maybe two.

I would suggest mounting the motor back on the top, paint it to it's original compressor color and mount a coiled hose to it with regulator...
I was thinking same thing, but the motor makes the lid way too heavy. But I did keep the regulator, collector, pressure relief, and pressure dials that I may use later. Definitely gonna be rattle can red in homage to Craftsman.

Had a productive Sunday and got the smoker all painted and did a seasoning smoke on it for 4 hours...had to shut it down...too much to drink and it was getting late. I added eye bolts to the basket to act as let...sits up about 2" now. Burn went well...kept it a about 250 most of the time. Below is a pic of what was left in the basket (it was filled little less than half way and added some hickory chunks).

I've got a some dumb questions to ask before I try smoking for the first time :icon_blush:

smoker2_zpsvckrsbzs.jpg

basket_zpssb3vjs40.jpg

Back