Best Butchers in Dallas?

Drunk Monkey

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Drunk Monkey
The Chicago thread asking the same question got me wondering. I always use either the grocery store or Costco and would like to know if someone has a better option. Thanks

I went to a "butcher shop" on Preston in Plano, but it was mostly high end, dry aged meats they were promoting. That, and their store made sausages and fine wines. It was a very "boutique" shop with prices to match.

I am going down to Kuby's near SMU this week to get some authentic German stuff for Oktoberfest cooking. They have a meat market that is supposed to be good. I know they make great sausages.

CD

Thanks for the responses. I am in N Dallas so I might have to give Hirsch's a try. I also saw one (online) in Frisco called Matador Meat and Wine that is close to me.

Caseydog I will be looking forward to see what you do with that German food. I am a big fan. I head over to Germany once a year and can't get enough of the food.

Dickie's Meats in Lewisville is the real deal. I have relatives nearby and have cooked some of their stuff when visiting.

Thanks for the responses. I am in N Dallas so I might have to give Hirsch's a try. I also saw one (online) in Frisco called Matador Meat and Wine that is close to me.

Caseydog I will be looking forward to see what you do with that German food. I am a big fan. I head over to Germany once a year and can't get enough of the food.

Matador is the one I mentioned earlier. It is actually in Plano, not Frisco.

CD

Hirsch's is a good bet on the north side.

Rudolph's in Deep Ellum has great beef and has been around forever. As a bonus it is few doors down from The Mozzarella Company that has a good selection of locally produced artisan cheeses.

I've been there. (Actually it's in Plano off Preston south of 121.)

It's ok but I prefer Hirch's.

Whoops just saw Casey's post regarding Matador.

Germandeli.com in Colleyville imports authentic German food. Love their Nurenberger brats.

Hirch's is pretty terrific. Last time there I picked up a Wagyu tri-tip that was pretty reasonably priced and melted like butter. If you go, leave yourself some time to visit with the staff - they know and love what they do.

That settles it, I am walking into Hirch's on Friday afternoon with an open mind and leaving with something I can't get at the grocery store or Costco. Thanks for the responses.

I went to Kuby's and Hirsch's today. Both were very nice.

I got just the hard to find cut I needed for my Oktoberfest meal at Kuby's, plus some plain sauerkraut that I can doctor up my own way. I also picked up some brats.

At Kirsch's, I mostly just looked and chatted. I did buy a really nice looking pork butt.

I'd recommend checking both of them out. :thumb:

CD

Hirsch's has great service. If they don't have what you are looking for they will get it. When I was babysitting a friend's Jambo they brought in some cases of prime brisket and wet aged them for me in THEIR walk in. The deli case is great. Everything you need for a Chicago Dog or beefs shipped from Chicago. If it wasn't two hours there and back they'd see me much more often. Great store and great people.

Back