Time To Upgrade

rimshotgraphix

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
so my New Braunfels Bandera smoker is literally about to rust out and fall apart (cover purchased for it crapped out in a less than 3 months). The way i understand it they are just not made like they used to be.

I'm looking to upgrade to a bit better craftsmanship (1/4" steel?) but don't want to break the bank. (i'm a weekend warrior smoker) Any manufacturers and models you would recommend? I love the 'closet' style of the Bandera but not married to it.

I checked out a co. named Klose out of Houston, TX that appears to make great stuff, but it a looks a little pricey in my opinion....course, i've been wrong before.

thanks in advance. (side note: i used a rasberry chipotle sauce available at Costco on my last pork shoulder and got rave reviews)

You can't go wrong with a Klose. Gators and LyfeTymes are a bit cheaper. Or you could go with a Big Green Egg (BGE) if you want to switch to a ceramic.

I would Reccomend a UDS, BGE, Primo, WSM, a Bubba Keg and another UDS. You just can't have too many!

It really depends on how you cook and what type of cooker you want. Lang makes a very good offset, Stumps is good if you're looking for a gravity feed vertical, BGE is my choice for a ceramic because of their versatility, quality and excellent customer service. I have the big Weber Kettle, and that is very versatile also. I think you have to settle on a style first and then move on to selecting a brand.

Lots of good ones out there and most of the bigger names have excellent customer support and excellent quality of craftsmanship. I have a Backwoods Fatboy and Chubby and love them. I also have two Grill Domes and really like them as well. I cooked on a Stumps for about 1/2 of the 2010 season and like it alot. It is hard to beat the versatility and value of an insulated vertical like the Backwoods, Superior or Stumps.

Back