Weekend cook - 160 Lbs, 1 SKD

scottm4300

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Well, I'm gonna pat myself on the back a little bit here. I cooked for a graduation party of 100 people over the weekend. Seven butts, totaling 50 pounds, 15 racks of spares and 40 pounds of chicken wings - half hot wings, half honey BBQ. It turned out tremendous!! I've never done anything on this scale before, and it was a great success.

Much of the success I owe to the advise I received from a lot of you folks in prepping for this.

So -I thought I'd throw a few photos out there. I don't have any pics of the finished butts, but they fell apart as always and the pulled pork was a huge hit. I laid out 20 different sauces so people could choose what they liked. Here's the pics: seven butts, rubbed upand ready to go; 15 racks of spares, rolled up and in the smoker; cutting up the ribs before serving, and the four trays of wings. It was a great success - and a hell of a learning experience!!

Attachments

• seven_butts.jpg
    seven_butts.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 110
  • Fifteen_ribs.jpg
    Fifteen_ribs.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 112
  • cutting_ribs.jpg
    cutting_ribs.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 112
  • 300_wings.jpg
    300_wings.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 110
Outstanding! Given the audience here I feel comfortable saying this,
Man I get excited when I see that much meat! :-D
Bet you had a lot of happy guests!

Crap, I got so excited I just took a swig out of the wrong beer can. Warm and flat, but at least there wasn't a cigarette butt in it. :icon_smil

Oh man....Nice job. That would have been 3 cooks for this country boy. And 20 count 'em 20 sauces! That's cool and I'm not even a sauce guy.

Man - that food looks great - it must have been a hell of a party!

Great job!! And I thought I was doing good to do one butt, one brisket and two spares at once in my Bandera. I am going to have to try rolling my ribs like that.

MrSmoker said:
Thats awesome Scott,how long did that load of ribs take?

The ribs took about 5 hours. Rolled up, I was able to fit 5 racks per shelf without impeding airflow too much. But I did find out where all the hot spots are in the SKD doing it this way!! I ended up moving things around about halfway through the cook in order to keep things even. I had to do the same thing with the wings.

Nice job, Scott. Rotating the meat around on the shelf and then rotating the shelves is a must when cooking that much in a Dera/SKD.

It looks great!

Great Scott Job! I mean, Great job Scott!!

I'll bet you ended up with a bunch of happy people!

How much did you charge per person for a job like that?

Scott, seeing all that beautiful food.........im gettin a bit teary eyed.
Scott here is a big slap on your shoulder for one hell of a fine job.
Mike

Wow all that meat looks great. I'm sure it was a great party.

Rolled ribs hmmm.. I like it !!! would like to try a rack or 2 for a snack while im cookin for everyone else. great use of space. thats for sure.

Back