Smoked Oysters?

Neil

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Picked up some shucked raw oysters at Sam's yesterday and ate half the jar for dinner last night with a salad. I've always loved the canned smoked oysters in oil on crackers as an appetizer and was thinking about smoking the remaining raw oysters I have in fridge. Anyone out there have a good technique for doing this? Was thinking I would go real low, under 150, and just place the oysters on some foil and drizzle with olive oil. Take them off when they daken and shrivel up some. Any advice? I'm all ears (with a shrinking 40+ waistline):biggrin:

Neil -- disregard -----went to the site and not worth it!!!!!

Hope this helps Neil, or maybe a variation.

Hog Island Oysters with Chipotle Horseradish Barbecue Sauce
BBQ U Season 3, Northern California Episode

Method: direct grilling
Yield: Makes 24 oysters

1 cup canned tomato sauce
5 tablespoons cider vinegar
1/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 small onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 to 2 canned chipotle peppers, minced
1 piece (about 2 inches) fresh horseradish, peeled and grated
Coarse salt (kosher or sea) and freshly ground black pepper
24 large oysters
Crusty bread for serving
1. Place the tomato sauce, vinegar, honey, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, onion, garlic, and chipotle(s) in a heavy nonreactive saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Let the sauce simmer gently until thickened and richly flavored, 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon.
2. Remove the saucepan from the heat, let cool slightly, and stir in the horseradish. Season with salt and pepper to taste; the sauce should be highly seasoned. The sauce can be made several hours or days ahead. Refrigerate, covered, until ready to use.
3. Scrub the oyster shells with a stiff brush to remove any grit or mud. Discard any oysters that fail to close when tapped. Shuck the oysters as described above. Place the oysters flat on baking sheets, taking care not to spill the juices.
4. Set up the grill for direct grilling and preheat to high.
5. When ready to cook, spoon 1 tablespoon of the sauce over each oyster. Place the oysters on the hot grate and grill until the sauce and oyster juices are bubbling and the oysters are cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes. Work in as many batches as necessary to avoid overcrowding the grill. Serve the oysters hot off the grill with crusty bread to soak up the juices.

Hope this helps Neil, or maybe a variation.

Hog Island Oysters with Chipotle Horseradish Barbecue Sauce
BBQ U Season 3, Northern California Episode

Method: direct grilling
Yield: Makes 24 oysters

1 cup canned tomato sauce
5 tablespoons cider vinegar
1/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 small onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 to 2 canned chipotle peppers, minced
1 piece (about 2 inches) fresh horseradish, peeled and grated
Coarse salt (kosher or sea) and freshly ground black pepper
24 large oysters
Crusty bread for serving
1. Place the tomato sauce, vinegar, honey, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, onion, garlic, and chipotle(s) in a heavy nonreactive saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Let the sauce simmer gently until thickened and richly flavored, 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon.
2. Remove the saucepan from the heat, let cool slightly, and stir in the horseradish. Season with salt and pepper to taste; the sauce should be highly seasoned. The sauce can be made several hours or days ahead. Refrigerate, covered, until ready to use.
3. Scrub the oyster shells with a stiff brush to remove any grit or mud. Discard any oysters that fail to close when tapped. Shuck the oysters as described above. Place the oysters flat on baking sheets, taking care not to spill the juices.
4. Set up the grill for direct grilling and preheat to high.
5. When ready to cook, spoon 1 tablespoon of the sauce over each oyster. Place the oysters on the hot grate and grill until the sauce and oyster juices are bubbling and the oysters are cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes. Work in as many batches as necessary to avoid overcrowding the grill. Serve the oysters hot off the grill with crusty bread to soak up the juices.
That is the only recipe i use for oysters. It is delish and yummo!

here is the best recipe on the planet for oysters

eat oysters
do the naked who's your daddy dance for the wife
turn lights down low
look here in the eye and say.....whooossss the love master baby

now that cookin

eat oysters
turn lights down low

now that cookin

Bro... that was funny has heck until the mental image of it popped into my head!!!

Smoked oysters? Hmmm, I'd like to try em. Never had em. I only do oysters 2 ways that I like: roasted (or steamed) and fried. When we roast em, we just lay them on a Weber kettle in the shell over hot coals, wait till they just pop open and their done. Scrape em out and drop one drop of tobasco on each oyster. Then we have melted butter and lemons to choose from if you want more flavor. Not complictaed.

When we do fried we make up at least 4 bags of seasoned flour to batter them in. Spicy, garlic, Old Bay, and plain. Spicy is usually the crowd favorite.

I put a little Creole Seasoning on the oysters and on grill and do low and slow with indirect heat. Length of time is your preference, according to how done ya like em.

eat oysters
turn lights down low

now that cookin

that does not work!! i ate a dozen last week and only 11 of them worked that night!!!!!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Smoked oysters ,the kind you buy in a can, are a favorite snack to go with cocktails around here. We consume 3 or 4 tins per month. I'm hoping someone chimes in with a technique.

Thanks Rick. That is pretty much what I had in mind w/o the boiling first. The oysters I have are aready shucked but pretty good sized so hopefully they will end up the size of a nickel. I plan on putting them on if and when the butts ever reach temp!!

Make sure you let us now how they turn out Neil. I love oysters but always just put them on a grill till they pop open. Problem is as I am opening and laying them out kids are pigging out so I end having to fill them up before I ever get to sit down and have my own!

eat oysters
turn lights down low

now that cookin
See I told you all cousins shouldn't marry

Back