Weber smoke fire shipping soon?

That seems to be the intent, babybackmaniac’s video said it’s about on par with a Genesis gas grill grilling wise.

Exactly. That’s why they focused so much on grilling during our visit. They tested 10 or so other pellet cookers and found that pretty much any pellet Grill could do low and slow. It was grilling many of them struggle with...particularly without bringing in extra parts.

This probably isn’t a huge surprise to anyone but the main draw to pellet grill is convenience and they know most of their customers are going to be converted gas grill owners (incidentally the second biggest group will be charcoal and stick burner guys looking for a convenient week day cooker.). For that first group of people, they don’t want it to feel like a compromise.

They kept saying the goal was to make one cooker that could “sear like a Genesis and smoke on a WSM.” I think they got pretty close on the Genesis part.

If they manage to do the “low and slow” aspect well like other pellet grills without having to do things like cook on the top shelf I think they’ll have a winner. Just imagining how heat moves and how the fire pot and deflector above it is setup, it seems reasonable there could be “direct heat” above a certain cook temp in low and slow mode. Maybe the fire pot deflector is enough to fan it out to the “flavorizer bars” and get decently even heat distribution.

I like what they’ve done to address ash fly-up and the shortcomings with other longer augers (burn back into the hopper, moisture causing hardening, etc).

If they manage to do the “low and slow” aspect well like other pellet grills without having to do things like cook on the top shelf I think they’ll have a winner. Just imagining how heat moves and how the fire pot and deflector above it is setup, it seems reasonable there could be “direct heat” above a certain cook temp in low and slow mode. Maybe the fire pot deflector is enough to fan it out to the “flavorizer bars” and get decently even heat distribution.

I like what they’ve done to address ash fly-up and the shortcomings with other longer augers (burn back into the hopper, moisture causing hardening, etc).

Yeah, I like that too.

Regarding the direct heat. Yeah, it's one of the things I want to test as well. Like someone else mentioned, I've had issues with a few of my cookers having the radiant heat of the deflector pan toast the bottom too much (in one case it flat out burned some ribs) so I'm hoping this will be better than that since there won't be a deflector that close and the radiant heat will be further away.

The good part is they left room for a disposable drip/water pan to sit on the flavor bars so that's always an option.

Has anybody had any recent communication from Weber on this?

I read on Amazon from Weber, that when the smoke fire ships, you will not be able to control the temperature from the app. That makes me really uneasy about spending that kind of money on a cooker that they are still working on the app.
c82fa55f4eae05070b3b16195ec27238.jpg

I read on Amazon from Weber, that when the smoke fire ships, you will not be able to control the temperature from the app. That makes me really uneasy about spending that kind of money on a cooker that they are still working on the app.

Welcome to modern software app development by companies that don't do software as part of their core business.

At least it isn't some doctors and lawyers running a software team in some third world country wondering why their software doesn't work and it is taking so long to get a product released. ... [/rant mode off]

Back