The Man of La Plancha

Swine Spectator

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
I read an article about the Spanish tradition of cooking on La Planchas; which are somewhat like stone griddles. I decided to try to replicate them using untreated slate.

I went to a flooring place and bought a 18" x 18" untreated slate for about $2.

picture.php

I placed it over a bed of hot coals. While it heated, I prepped some shrimp, redfish, and assorted veggies.

picture.php

Once it warmed up, I lightly greased the Plancha.

picture.php

Then I loaded it up:

picture.php

I basted everything with some warm garlic butter and squeezed fresh lemon over it all as it cooked:

picture.php

and dinner is served:

picture.php

Unfortunately, the slated separated into layers during cooking. I don't think I will be able to reuse it. I may retry with a cast iron griddle.

Thanks for looking.

David
The Swine Spectator

Planchas are very popular out here in many restaurants. They are great for searing, however, the preferred material is carbon steel.

Still, that was a great cook you did

I believe they use Granite over here in the restaurants.
But kudos for giving it a go:thumb:
Just get it right for when I come for Lunch

Looks like a great mistake. Only way to learn is to try!

Very nice, blackened fish/seafood is one of my favorites on the griddle:thumb:

What an outstanding experiment! I need to get off my arse and figure out a griddle for my kettle so I can get in on this kind of action!

I believe they use Granite over here in the restaurants.
But kudos for giving it a go:thumb:
Just get it right for when I come for Lunch
We have a local restaurant called the Black Rock Grill that claims that Australians all cook on rocks, so I find your post interesting. Thanks.

I've used 18" square tiles on my gasser for doing pizza. Works great, needs to be heated gradually. I never had a separation as you describe, but after so many cooks on it it just cracked in several large pieces

I've found that the 15" carbon steel paella pan that I bought last year works very well for this sort of application.

Yeah, you don't want to be heating up sedimentary rocks like that, they have the potential to explode.

Back