Who makes the best meat thermometer

S

Smoke Show

I just figured out that my meat thermometer reads about 30 degrees cold. I want a good quality, accurate, and fast reading thermometer. I know the experienced cooks on here probably don't use one, but I still need a little help judging when my Q is done.
Thanks,

I think most people will recommend the Thermapen by Thermoworks. They're fantastic instant read thermometers.

I do believe I saved more meat using a thermapen than any other brand. I know they are expensive as heck, but you will see the savings after a couple of cooks. So, I recommend a thermapen, I have 2, one as a backup (honestly, never needed the backup, I just have a habit to loose one of them, all the time)

Add my name to the Thermapen band wagon. Just can't beat it. :thumb:

Thermapen !! , If one has the cash , just get it .......

I'll just say Thermapen and leave to the debate to everyone else about what color is better. But everyone knows it's red...

Wow, I think I have found my answer. Quality isn't cheap is it. I'm going blue :thumb:

orange reads quicker than the others... And I know this man! :becky::becky::becky:

My wife is the best I've found. However, I suggest the BLACK Thermapen.

You need a go fast GREEN one mate... Dont let these guys influence you on any other, inferior color to the green :)

I've never used anything like a thermapen. What is the difference between the thermapen and something like a Maverick E-72?

Is a thermapen a better version of the manual probes to test different parts of the meat, while you still have the Maverick in there for a general guide? Given the Maverick costs a third and it's in the meat anyway, what is the thermapen for?

Ryan

The YELLOW Thermapen offers three advantages over most other digital thermometers:

1) Speed. Getting a reading in 3 seconds means you can get in and out of the cooker quickly, essential for smoker temp and fire control.

2) Narrow probe. Smaller holes in your meat means less juice escaping and less meat marking for comps.

3) Accuracy. Cheaper digital thermos have much larger error margins over their full range and don't hold calibration like a Thermapen does.

That said, your Thermapen should be your secondary thermometer. You'll still want some sort of continuous readout of your pit temp, and perhaps your meat temp too, depending on your experience level.

I've never used anything like a thermapen. What is the difference between the thermapen and something like a Maverick E-72?

Is a thermapen a better version of the manual probes to test different parts of the meat, while you still have the Maverick in there for a general guide? Given the Maverick costs a third and it's in the meat anyway, what is the thermapen for?

Ryan

Two totally different needs.
Thermapen is for quick read such as steaks. Stick it, get a fast read and pull it out.
Maverick is for staying in the meat when doing low and slow while monitoring though-out the entire cook.

I guess I have another question. Would it be better to use a thermapen, or get a thermometer that you leave in the meat during the whole cooking process. What would you guys recommend for a thermometer that you leave in the meat?

Back