Brethren/Sisterin Garden Thread 2010.....

Ashmont

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
It time folks well for some folks... This is the 2010 Brethren garden thread. As for me my garden is in a little incubator box by a window.

All year feel free to stop by this thread and place pron of your garden and brag about what you made with the bounty of your harvest...

I have somewhere around 20 peppers started, by tonight, 27 or so tomato varieties and then there will be beans, squash cukes etc...I normally post on the garden forum I mod at. (Yes, there is a foolish forum owner stupid enough to make me a global moderator). I will have to remember to post here. Oh, I am gonna try hops too.

I don't have a good out of the way area to grow a garden unfortunately, all my sunlit space is in the front yard. So 2 years ago I planted some apple trees and blueberry bushes as part of the landscaping, but I am still supposed to pick the flowers off these again this year to promote plant/root growth to make them good and strong. Next year I will finally be able to let some fruits grow on them. I have strawberries planted last year in a landscaped area too, which I should get plenty of this year. That's it for me here though, no maters, peppers, etc. (wife is terribly allergic to many kinds of peppers, stops breathing).

tomsnpeppers-1.jpg

peppers.jpg
eggies.jpg

P91252702.jpg

Just this last week I planted two indeterminate tomato plants. One is a Stripey and the other one is advertised as heat resistant so I gave it a try.

Last year I had some pretty decent real San Marzano tomatoes going from seeds. All I needed was some good volcanic soil.

I don't have a good out of the way area to grow a garden unfortunately, all my sunlit space is in the front yard. So 2 years ago I planted some apple trees and blueberry bushes as part of the landscaping, but I am still supposed to pick the flowers off these again this year to promote plant/root growth to make them good and strong. Next year I will finally be able to let some fruits grow on them. I have strawberries planted last year in a landscaped area too, which I should get plenty of this year. That's it for me here though, no maters, peppers, etc. (wife is terribly allergic to many kinds of peppers, stops breathing).

I do potted/5 gallon bucket plant gardening for my peppers, chives and Oregano to keep them at bay and not spread plus they are mobile... Man we did oregano at our old house and it spread like wild fire in 2 years I was harvesting the stuff in 30 gallon garbage bags...

Looking good Bob!
the Wife started All of our seeds in the mud room Sunday, I built an additional 5x10 bed, and the Garlic I planted Winter Solstice is growing like mad.
I will post some pictures later today.

I'm looking forward to May, when I can plant my peppers. Trying to decide what varieties to plant this year. I'm hoping Abelman will grown and smoke some more Thai peppers...then maybe I can trade some with him again.

Hoping to finish my raised bed project and actually have a garden this year! Last year only ended up with weeds:mad:

Too busy with comps and other pursuits! Will try harder this year, at least to get in some tomatoes, peppers (sweet, tabasco, jalapeno, habanero, and whatever else I can find, some sage, basil, cilantro, and maybe I'll try tomatillos this year

Garden is going well....
Garlic taking up half my 1st 10x5, Planted 12.21.09...looking pretty good.
DSC03068.jpg

Our Primary garden area resting for winter, except the garlic. We have an herb garden in there and we just planted horseradish root...The wine barrell we did carrots in last year...
DSC03074.jpg

Fish would rather play Frisbee and pee on our garden

DSC03072.jpg

our new 5x10 bed, I have yet to fence it(fish proof it)
DSC03069.jpg

our seed room
DSC03075.jpg

We are all set for spring, cant wait!!!

Nice Humboldt, you got a good start, I just finished sowing and now the wait.

Thanks Bigabyte, hopefully this year will be as good or better. There is this guy in Rocklin eying my harvest already.

Bob, you got some Japanese Egg plant, right, thats what those photos are?
The heirlooms I need a green house for...and I can forget about peppers...I grow some great lettuce, Garlic, Brocholi, lemon cucumber, cucumber, green beans and peas, artichoke, and that is about it. Carrots, radish, etc. Bok Choy...nothing that needs heat my friend.

Nope, the purple eggplants are Gandia de Listada (Spanish/Italian) and Fairytale (European) The long dark pods in that one photo are peppers called Holy Moly, a dark hybrid NMSU type mild hot pepper. It was supposed to be a all-in-one mole pepper, it isn't bad.

Nope, the purple eggplants are Gandia de Listada (Spanish/Italian) and Fairytale (European) The long dark pods in that one photo are peppers called Holy Moly, a dark hybrid NMSU type mild hot pepper. It was supposed to be a all-in-one mole pepper, it isn't bad.

Looks like you're off and running and have a great variety of goodies!

Don't be surprised if you wake up one morning and find there's been a rabbit from Marin in your pepper-patch!!!!!

Mine's going to be MUCH simpler but hopefully good.

I hope this year is better than last. My garden was a big waste of time.
I have to move my maters this year cuz of the blight.

I'm still under 2-3 ft of snow. The goal is to do lot's of sausage tomatoes, chiles, carots, radishes, lettuce, squash, and lot's of curly parsley for boxes.

Back