Pork Collar

TheBBQJew

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I usually get a sliced pork sandwich at my local BBQ joint and it is awesome! I never thought to ask which cut it was but today I did and they said it was pork collar. I was thinking it was butt and I was wrong. Never heard of the pork collar before. Anybody else? They throw it in the smoker with applewood till the internal temp is 155. It’s nice and fatty. Maybe my favorite cut of pork of all time. Very similar to butt as they are neighbors. Why don’t we here more about the collar cut?

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
It is a great cut, but labor intense. It comes from the neck, and most butchers don't take the time to remove it whole. It ends up in sausage.

Now you've got me jonesing for some pork collar. Looks like Asian markets would be a good first stop in the search.

Pork collar is also know as pork scotch. Pork collar is a fairly unfamiliar American cut. It is the part of the shoulder that runs from the base of the pig's neck to the tip of the loin. You don't often see it stateside, but it's common in neighborhood European ethnic markets.

This highly marbled meat can be cooked and enjoyed in many ways: Whole roasted, or cut into fillets and grilled in slices.

I believe Sonny's BBQ sells it in their restaurants. At least they did a few years ago.

I know it as pork neck.
We get it here as pork neck chops. My favourite chop as the fat is dispersed thoughout the chop so it doesn't get dry.
We can also get it as the whole cut. I like it :)

Very common cut here. Pork Scotch or Pork Neck, as mentioned above already.

It's a relatively expensive cut here in Downside Up Land. Often it is treated like a beef rib eye as the anatomy of both together looks remarkably similar. Also it is cut down in Chinese cuisine to make Char Siu while the Italians cure it for Coppacollo.

Very versatile cut. Very delicious. Costco sells it here as a "Collar Butt"

Cheers!

Back