WOW Collard Greens.. Scored!!

southernsmoker

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Yowza, actually bought some collard greens here In farkin
Newfoundland & Labrador, at one of the local stores, nice fresh leafy from the US of A!!! Never.. ever.. ever seen them here before!! Sorry for making a big deal, this is exciting stuff!! :redface: :thumb:
Now what the heck to do with em..:confused: :suspicious: :thumb:

Cant wait to see what folks have to say. I would love to have a great recipe. I love those greens.

Cut the stem out and leave the pieces in 1" strips. Make sure you wash the leaves very well to get any grit out. Turkey leg, ham hoc or bacon works...add salt, blk pepper and I add a touch of sugar...very easy and very good. I hit them with a splash of apple cider vinegar or pepper vinegar when I eat them. Enjoy.

Low and slow is the key. I use hamhock and smoked neckbone, onion, cider vinegar, chili flakes, and water. Stem and chop as mentioned, pour in a healthy amount of vineger (about 1/3 the amount of water you use), enough water to cover the greens, and bring to a boil with all the other ingredients. As soon as it boils, cut down the heat and cover. Walk away. Check every 30 minutes or so to make sure there is enough liquid to cover the greens. They should simmer all day, or at least 2-3 hrs. Season with salt at the end. They will make your house stink to high heaven, but are absolutely delicious.

Yep, pretty much what everyone else said. Low boil in water (go ez on the water as the greens will give it up) with bacon grease, black pepper, smoked ham hocks. Watch the salt ya put in with both bacon grease and the ham hocks. Cook until firm, but not crunchy. You can add pepper vinegar at the table if you like. I just salt to taste and chow them down! BTW, if you have enough to eat for several nights and do so, be aware, they'll humble you.

Using leftover pulled pork works as well. I make a variation of this recipe but add pulled pork and cubed potatoes and start it all out with rendered bacon. Leave the bacon in it and remove the grease. At then end of the boil, add some of the bacon grease for flavor. I sub the bacon grease for butter.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/collard-greens-recipe/index.html

Collards, mustard, turnip greens are fantastic. Kale will also work the same way and has a great flavor as well.

Bob

pork, vinegar, salt, pepper...simmer 'em down. love that stuff! Brazilians have an interesting and great way of doing collard greens too. I don't have a recipe, but I'm sure you could find one easily.

Pretty much agree with all the above, slow cook a hamhock, pepper, onion, I like to hit mine with a little Franks hot sauce too. Good stuff. Gotta have cornbread too.

This is one of those things that a crock pot is perfect for. Oh, do not throw out the liquid, especially if you used smoked pork products, as it makes a great tea and is really good for you as well.

Makes ya set back and think about things we take for granted. Never figured some one would be so excited over collard greens. You will enjoy them.

I say this world would be a better place if we could all be really happy just for finding something really simple to eat and enjoy. Why can't a day be better because we eat a really good orange, or a really good cookie?

I live in southeastern Michigan, home of transplanted southerners come North to the auto plants. Every time I have a chance to eat them, I agree, exciting stuff. I begged and begged a woman at work for her technique to prepare them, because they had just the right amount of grease to taste good. She smiled at me, and changed the subject. I haven't got it right yet, but I get to eat greens.

I like them stuffed with pork and smoked..
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101331

The hot bacon dressing on top is good too. :)

a612757e-1.jpg

^^^I'm so not surprised that cowgirl would come up with something awesome like this:thumb:
Just look at that - everything in that picture rocks!

Thanks for all the great comments & tips, I copied and pasted all of your methods.
Ultimately,I boiled them with a hambone and they were well.. farkin outstanding!!:-D Very close to turnip greens, which are abundant here in season.
With all the recipes I'm gotta run to the store and get me another arm full, after I blow the snow out of the driveway. :crazy:

Now if I can talk em into getting me some catfish, well.. I'd be jumping sideways..:becky:

I saw the title and the poster, ... and well, I still don't believe it. Collard greens in Labrador? yeah, that'll be the day. Not surprised you didn't post any pictures. :wink:

Back