Need to buy a smoker to fill in.... Need advise

CelticRaven

Knows what a fatty is.
So as I posted before, I murdered my Brinkmann, and now I need something to fill in till my new smoker gets built..... Ummm What do I get? I got my wife addicted to it and need some advise so I can fill the void here.

I am leaning toward a WSM I think, but not really sure....

If you just wanted an easy to use smoker to use for the next 9 months I am totally open to suggestions!

-CR

I wish a bear would carry my brinkmann away...... I have seen so much good about the WSM's on here.... 18 or 22??? is there really a difference?

Oh I should note, this will NOT be retired after 9 months, it will go to my hunt club and stay in use for many many many years to come.

The 22 is nice because it can hold briskets a lot easier, and you can lay racks of ribs on the grate instead of needing a rack to hold trimmed ribs sideways. Other than that though, the 18 is a seriously nice machine. The 18 is easier to transport.

A WSM is hard to beat if you're looking to buy. If you have a few skills you can build a UDS for a lot less $$, but it depends on your skill level.

Ok that answers that.... 22" I love me some brisket!

So am I correct in that the operation is basically, put in charcoal and wood, light.... and they go? I have done lots of indirect on a grill/firebox, but a good primer on the WSM is in order before this weekend I think.

I did the maiden voyage on my new 18.5 yesterday. I thoroughly enjoyed it! The temps are very easily controlled, and charcoal lasts a L-O-N-G time. I went with the 18.5 for the economy of it, and it payed off! I'm sure you'll enjoy and appreciate whichever WSM you choose!

I have 6 18.5" WSMs. I love every one of them.

The only reason I don't have a 22.5" is I haven't found a good CL score yet.

Ok now the killer question.... I'm sold according to Home Depot they dont carry the 22 in stores.... Where do you go to buy one?

Just to throw in another perspective. A 22 inch weber kettle on its own can smoke up small batches of product plus is a great high heat grill. If you have the fund you can order the cajun bandit and have a great grill/22 inch WSM equiv for about the same money as a 22 inch WSM. If you do a craigslist rescue kettle you can save even more. I have a freebe kettle with a homemade extension that is similar to the Cajun Bandit that I use at my hunting camp. I am set for everything from grilling ribeyes to smoking up 40 lbs of butts.

Well though the power of Amazon prime it will be delivered tomorrow!!!!!! So I'm sure I'll have a few thousand new posts about its use, but wanted to thank everyone for the help today.

Back