Kansas City BBQ Sauce

WineMaster

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
A cousin goes to Pharmacist school in KC, Brought back some Bryants Original, Thick & Zesty and Sweet Heat. Also a couple of Rubs.
Tried the Original and the Sweet Heat.

Does a lot of people like theese sauces. Not sure what to think of them.

Lots of Celery Seed like Gates.

Thoughts​

A cousin goes to Pharmacist school in KC, Brought back some Bryants Original, Thick & Zesty and Sweet Heat. Also a couple of Rubs.
Tried the Original and the Sweet Heat.

Does a lot of people like theese sauces. Not sure what to think of them.

Lots of Celery Seed like Gates.

Thoughts​

Only because they don't know any better.

I like it but alot dont. It is diffrent a little more mustard/vinegary that most KC stuff.

I like both, Gates a bit more though. I don't think it is as much celery seed in Gates as cumin. Bryants is hot and vinegary and you do have to have a taste for it. Sorry River City, but I don't think it is a tourist thing at all. Lived there for 15 years and miss eating at both places along with LCs and others.

I like Gates' meat a lot, but I'm not that fond of their sauce. I'm probably one of the few farkers (OK, farker in training) on here that really likes KC Masterpiece sauce. It's pretty much all I've ever used at home.

Having said that, as I get into this obsession, I'm really starting to try and "taste" the Q more these days instead of just devouring it - both meat and sauce. It's interesting that I never really got the nuances of the different sauces, smokes, etc. Now I'm wanting to take a judging class - not to actually judge contests, but rather to better hone my tasting skills.

I'm looking forward to trying out some different Q sauces in the near future. I'm not really fond of hot stuff. I prefer sweet sauces so far. But, who knows what I'll like as I branch out.

To me KC Masterpiece is pretty bland. It does not jump up and bite you like Gates or Wabash or Rufus Teague. And none of those bite as hard as Bryants does.

I like the bite of a sauce, the smoke flavor and the tenderness.

Sauce snob

I agree about Bryants, never liked it for whatever reason. I like Gates extra hot, probably the best flavor for a hot BBQ sauce bar none. The best classic KC BBQ sauce is probably Jack's Stack sauce (again I prefer the hot) Zarda is good with Chicken, KC Masterpiece is good if you want to sweeten something up. I actually like it on sweet italian sausage. Oklahoma Joes makes a mean sauce too, I like to mix their sauce with their hot sauce 50/50 and dip those salty fries in them.........mmmmmmmmmmmm...mmmmmmmmmmmm.

This may sound strange, but I like to mix things up a little. I use KC as a base and add other sauces to it. It is a good base to start things out. I like to add some heat to KC and go from there.

This may sound strange, but I like to mix things up a little. I use KC as a base and add other sauces to it. It is a good base to start things out. I like to add some heat to KC and go from there.

I like that idea too. I was thinking of adding something to masterpiece to add a little bite to it. The more I taste my own Q, the more I want it to bite back a little bit - but I still love KC Masterpiece.

That's not strange at all. A lot of people do just that - and then add other adjuncts like raisins or cherry pie filling or dates or . . . Then blend it all together of course.

Try Gates extra hot and chances are you won't have to add anything to get the heat up!!!!

I like Gates' meat a lot, but I'm not that fond of their sauce.
must resist woodpile comment.

Ive tried gates before a friend brought me a bottle when he came back from a baseball game there. It was allright i suppose. I still prefer Spicewine's sweet heat and blue collar sauce or some blues hog if i dont make my own.

must resist woodpile comment.

LOL! BBQ is just full of those "put your foot in your mouth" subjects/buzzwords, huh? Usually when I'm telling my wife something BBQ, she half wonders if I'm just making it up for some good 6th grade humor.

Ive tried gates before a friend brought me a bottle when he came back from a baseball game there. It was allright i suppose. I still prefer Spicewine's sweet heat and blue collar sauce or some blues hog if i dont make my own.

Sounds good. I really need to go somewhere where I can sample lots of BBQ sauces without spending $200 just to sample a bunch of them. Does such a place exist?

I'll be different. I love Gates sauce, but their portions are small at the restaurants. I like Bryant's meat more, but don't care for their sauces.

I like both, Gates a bit more though. I don't think it is as much celery seed in Gates as cumin. Bryants is hot and vinegary and you do have to have a taste for it. Sorry River City, but I don't think it is a tourist thing at all. Lived there for 15 years and miss eating at both places along with LCs and others.

LCs is now El Ranchito, a Mexican restaurant.

You talkin' about the old LC's on 95th?
I thought there was another L.C's in town somewhere.
You can sample rubs and sauces at kc bbq store(olathe) and backyard bash in kc(parkville).

I've tried a ton of sauces, but I've never tasted one that I like better than my own.....I'm not saying that mine is better......It just that I made it...it's my own heart and soul.

If I had to pick one that's not my own......Elmer's hot sauce in Tulsa....I don't even know if it's still there though.

You can sample rubs and sauces at kc bbq store(olathe) and backyard bash in kc(parkville).

Cool! I work pretty close to there. I'll have to have BBQ sauce for lunch soon. Road Trip.

Back