Smoking Company

Bigmista

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Do you prefer to smoke alone and serve to a group later or do you like people hanging out with you while you smoke?

You know BigMista, it depends on what type of mood I'm in to be honest with you. Most of the time I look at smoking as a release for me, time for my self doing something I truely enjoy. And then there are times I enjoy teaching others, sharing with others and teaching them how to prepare and cook true blue barbecue!

Bossman
chuckmarting@bossmanbbq.com

Like Bossman I like to have my cake and eat it too. The best for me is to have the solitude of an oh-dark thirty brisket start, followed later in the day by friends or family around while some ribs or chicken finish up as everyone snacks on sausages and abt's or skinnies.

Yeah I kinda like starting by myself and if people are coming over, I like for them to come in the afternoon when the fatties are done and the ribs are in for the glaze.

Would like a little of both, but in reality, I am generally alone, unless you count the times I make my sone come hang with me. {but when I want to be alone he seems to always be there}.

Do enjoy having somebody to drink a beer with and talk about sports, or whatever sometimes.

Smoke alone, then partake with friends.

I haven't found the person who can go the distance with me at the smoker, so I do it alone.

I usually go it alone. If im doing packers I start kinda like around midnite. I do ok by myself. When the food is ready to slice,pull or cut I like to have some help. Cause by then Im so danged tired it aint funny. Unless Im breakin in a newbee then I want them there at the git go. After the food is prepped and on the pit we have a class in fire control. Then they can go and crash on da couch.
Mike

Because the cook can take many hours (for a butt or brisket), its usually a mix. Unless its a gethering of BBQ-aholics, I'm the only one crazy enough to start a cook at 10:00 at night or get up at 5:00 am to cook, so that part is alone. Later, its always nice to have company to share the food and drink.

Yes. Always have the dogs around. They start getting excited when the lid to the firebox is cracked. After that I can't make a trip to the smoker by myself.

More often than not I like the peace and quiet, except for the 8 paaws following me around.

Brauma said:
Smoke alone, then partake with friends.

Especially during the times of in and out of the house wrapping and such, checking the fire etc. ,, stay the fark out of the way.

But when the battle is over, the company is nice (as well as the oohs and ahs from Uncle Farker and the like)

Like ChiBill, I don't like a crowd during the critical phases. Now, I do like someone there to pass me the beer, but I really appreciate the help during clean up time!

I like to smoke alone, and then have people over bout the time its ready to eat, Gives me a sense of accomplishment. I've had one friend go the distance on an all night brisket cook. we camped out on the back porch in the rain lol.. But allways enjoy the company when cleanup time comes.

Smokin and drinkin for me is a lot like George Thoroughgood put it,
When I smoke alone, I prefer to be by myself.

Seems like we're all a bunch of loaners.
Ideally, Im alone till its done, or almost done..

In front of my firebox is a big chopping stump. Its my chair. I sit, watch the fire, pet the dog, tend to the pit... Dont talk much.. just sit and zone into the smoke.

I'm alone most of the time when the smoker is working. My Pop shows up to see how things are going as he really does not understand the whole thing. He tells me that I should stick to Pasta. At the same time, he did the Mods to my cooker. He built a great baffle and tuning plates. He also corrected the problems I had witht the fire box. I have all thumbs.

Usually smoke by myself. Have the neighbors over for the meal. My community smoke is with a local church. starting 3am - fix 320 chickens all at one time

I prefer to smoke and drink beer with my brother.

Bossmanbbq said:
You know BigMista, it depends on what type of mood I'm in to be honest with you. Most of the time I look at smoking as a release for me, time for my self doing something I truely enjoy. And then there are times I enjoy teaching others, sharing with others and teaching them how to prepare and cook true blue barbecue!

Bossman
chuckmarting@bossmanbbq.com

What he said. Sometimes it's my quiet time. Smoke therapy. But there are times I like to share.

I smoke alone!! Most people I know think I'm mad for spending that amount of time cooking food they don't understand.

That might sound a little harsh, but in the UK 'we' don't really eat pulled pork, brisket, beans (unless you are talking Heinz!) it's all grill food (Burgers, Steak, Hot Dogs, Chicken Legs, etc etc) and again nearly all the BBQ's I've attended in the past two years all the food has been bought pre marinated or ready prepared from supermarkets :eek:

I BBQ'd at Xmas with friends and I've also 'finished off' food with company, but for me it's a time for me to play with fire and feel I'm doing my own thing, and I just share the finished products.

Now If I could only get a Brethren T-Shirt or two (Medium) to wear over summer........

Back