Cast Iron Baking Pans

JMSetzler

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
41NhQmFrqlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I ordered a couple of these 8" cast iron baking pans from Amazon to use on the smoker and grill. I think these would be excellent for small batches of beans or any other small batch dish I might want to put on the smoker or grill... I love cast iron and a majority of my cookware is simple cast iron stuff. Here's a link to the Amazon page...

Amazon.com: Old Mountain Pre Seasoned 10163 Square Baking Pan, 8 Inch x 8 Inch: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41NhQmFrqlL.@@AMEPARAM@@41NhQmFrqlL

At $21 each, I couldn't pass it up :)

interesting... do you know if it is the light cast iron or heavy I have a deep love for Lodge cast iron

interesting... do you know if it is the light cast iron or heavy I have a deep love for Lodge cast iron

Dunno... never had this brand before... all of my stuff is Lodge too. It says it weighs 6lbs so it's hard to say. I'll have if Friday and post again regarding the quality of the product... The 4 reviews on amazon for this product were all excellent..

PS - Do you have any of the enameled Lodge cast iron? I was thinking about buying one of their dutch ovens with the enamel coating on it. I love the Le Creuset stuff but I won't spend that much money for it...

PS - Do you have any of the enameled Lodge cast iron? I was thinking about buying one of their dutch ovens with the enamel coating on it. I love the Le Creuset stuff but I won't spend that much money for it...

No all my stuff is raw and rugged that I have, I like to be able to go from inside to outside with out a hitch, I have the 8inch skillet to the 17" big boy same with the Dutch ovens the largest I have is the no#16 Camp stove with legs, now my sister loves the enameled stuff she has both Lodge and Le Creuset stuff and she and I cannot tell the difference in it except the price tag
Mike / RR

here is a link to an old post from here with some pics of my collection
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1552666#post1552666

I have an off brand enameled cast iron dutch oven and frying pan. The dutch oven works great for chili and the cornbread baked just fine in the frying pan.

I have to say that if you're a cast iron fan, you'll love it enamelled because it makes the clean up a lot easier.

I bought my wife one of the blue ones from Walmart a couple years ago for Mothers Day and it has been great (I think it was about $50). The blue enamel is really pretty and it looks as good as new (this after being used 2x a week for the past couple of years, and my wife is really hard on pans). The only problem we have had is that she melted the knob in the oven, but I was able to find a replacement stainless steel one on ebay that looks even better than the original.

I can't compare it to the Le Crueset (as I have never owned one), but I have nothing but good things to say about the Lodge. In fact I was thinking about getting her the 3qt and the 7.5qt ones this year to complete the set.

I only have one piece of enameled cast iron and it's a small Le Creuset saucepan. I'm looking into buying another dutch oven though. I have a 5-qt lodge cast iron dutch oven but I'm thinking about a 6 or 7 quart enameled dutch oven for the sole purpose of making chili.

I have a set of enameled lodge cast iron pots. One is a 5 qt, one is a 8 qt (i think) and a frying pan.
I've had them about a year now and use them at least once a week. the frying pan gets used more, however I do not like it. the cast iron on the inside is hard to clean and I can't get it seasoned enough to prevent sticking. I shows wear already after one year.
as for as the dutch ovens, they are nice and well made. The inside is coated with a white enamel. It does tend to stain a bit but it's now bad. I have cooked chili, spaghetti, gumbo's etc with minimal stain. I'll sometimes pass a cloth w/bleach to get rid of the stain and have also used a magic eraser that works well.

for the price, the Lodge is worth it. I would never spend the bucks for a Le Creuset.

i have two of the lodge cast iron enanly problem i have had is the enamel is very easily chipped on the handles. Ive chipped the handles on both putting them in the sink. I have a ton of cast iron. My favorite is my chicken fryer that belonged to my grandmother, she gave it to me about 8-9 yrs ago. I completely reworked it and it is as good as the day she brought it home over 60 yrs ago.

I have an old lodge 3 qt pot that belongd to my parents. it was used so much over the years that the inside has a nice sheen to it. Nothing sticks to it. I mainly use it to fry french fries. it's about 40-50 yrs old and I've never re-worked it.

KitchenAid has some nice enameled cast iron dutch ovens, I've used them for years and have no complaints. They have great prices on them now.

Walmart sells a 6 1/2qt Tramontina for $39.00. Cooks Illustrated best buy.

I'm a big fan of Lodge and vintage Griswold cast iron but never owned an enameled piece until recently. I was always leery of cheap cast iron pieces, but I had store credit and a coupon for World Market and bought a 5 qt enameled DO for under $40. I really, really love it! The cleanup is easy and I can cook things in it that I would normally think twice about chucking in raw cast iron (mainly tomatoes and similarly acidic foods). My only other DO is a 7 qt Lodge and the 5 qt is the perfect size... big enough to make a pot of chili with enough leftovers for a couple days and still not too big to warm up a can of beans in.

I'm a big fan of Lodge and vintage Griswold cast iron but never owned an enameled piece until recently. I was always leery of cheap cast iron pieces, but I had store credit and a coupon for World Market and bought a 5 qt enameled DO for under $40. I really, really love it! The cleanup is easy and I can cook things in it that I would normally think twice about chucking in raw cast iron (mainly tomatoes and similarly acidic foods). My only other DO is a 7 qt Lodge and the 5 qt is the perfect size... big enough to make a pot of chili with enough leftovers for a couple days and still not too big to warm up a can of beans in.

I have seen those at World Market also...

As for cooking acidic foods in cast iron... it's not really much of a problem at all AFTER the cast iron is well-seasoned. The dutch ovens need to have a good heavy seasoning on them by either manually seasoning or by cooking several good batches of fatty foods in them prior to using them for something like chili or tomato sauces. After a cast iron piece has a really good seasoning, feel free to cook whatever you want in it...

Just a quick follow up...

The cast iron baking pans I mentioned in my original post are pretty decent quality heavy pans. They aren't quite as nice as I would have expected from Lodge, but they aren't Lodge. They are pre-seasoned but I have them in the oven now re-seasoning them and I'm quite happy with them :)

We just drove back from MD down I-85.
Exit 149 in SC has the "Lodge Outlet Store".
WOW!!!!!!!!!!

I only spent $23 on a 9 inch skillet, a new hat, and a jar of Japaleno Jelly.
Skillet was $10 and only had a small pit on the inside (half way up one side) which was marked with a white circle to point it out.
Not a problem. :-D

I have never seen so many things made of cast iron.

My shopping was cut short by Mrs. Kapn.
I still have a bruised earlobe from where she drug me "kicking and screaming" out the front door :icon_blush:

Gonna go back some day.

TIM

Back