Got a question on plastic spray bottles...

mjr

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Mods, I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this.

With the Super Bowl coming up, I decided I wanted to smoke a brisket.

I was at my local Walmart, in the BBQ section, and saw a spray bottle under the "Expert Grill" brand (Expert Grill Leak Proof 2-Function Spray Bottle, 17 Ounce). I bought it.

However, my wife is concerned about putting something acidic in it, like apple cider vinegar. She suggests a glass spray bottle, but those seem harder to come by.

Are plastic bottles like these safe to use for this purpose? I assumed it was, because it was in the BBQ section, but I've heard that there are certain types of plastics you're not supposed to put stuff like that in.

I've been buying plastic spray bottles from the Dollar Store for 15 years and using ACV in them and I'm still here, and nobody has gotten sick eating my BBQ.

I always err on the side of caution, because you never really know how plastic spray bottles are made, so to prevent the possibility of anything leaching into my spritz over time, I just buy the cheap bottles myself and treat them as one use only,
and once I'm done it goes in the trash.

Look at the bottom of the bottle, if you see HDPE (high density polyethylene), acid won't touch it. ZEP bottles are HDPE.

Look at the bottom of the bottle, if you see HDPE (high density polyethylene), acid won't touch it. ZEP bottles are HDPE.

It does not. It has part of the little recycling thing, and PET 1.

I have the exact same Expert Grill spray bottle from Walmart. It's been the best inexpensive spray bottle so far. All the others (Dollar Tree, Dollar General, etc) either stopped pumping or leaked around the trigger. I've used ACV in it numerous times with no issues. I always empty and rinse after the cook.

Back