Down time till next comp

Butcher BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Okay I have posted this on a couple other forums. Just thought I would get your thoughts.

Okay I have 12 weekends before our next contest. You take out 1 weekend for Thanksgiving, 2 weekends for Christmas ( we always have several houses to visit), 1 weekend for a class, My Dads birthday is on a weekend so we will go and eat out. That now leaves only 8 weekends for practice cooks and then back at it.

So how much time do you have or what is you practice time look like?

I won't start cooking again uintil after the New Year. Then I will play with some things... More for flavors than for practice... Cause if I don't know how to cook the 4 meats by now, I will never know...

For now, I am practicing on my turkey fryer.... Trying to think up things to cook in oil!!!!

I won't start cooking again uintil after the New Year. Then I will play with some things... More for flavors than for practice... Cause if I don't know how to cook the 4 meats by now, I will never know...

For now, I am practicing on my turkey fryer.... Trying to think up things to cook in oil!!!!

Good point, maybe that should be the main goal.

I have till mid May to figure out chicken, I will probably cook chicken just about every weekend till then. I will throw in a brisket,butt or some ribs in just to keep in touch with them.

Good point, maybe that should be the main goal.

I'll help you out David. Once you think you have the flavors down. Send me the samples and I will let you know what I think.... :roll:

I'll help you out David. Once you think you have the flavors down. Send me the samples and I will let you know what I think.... :roll:
Not sure anyone would want to eat my junk, heck I don't.

Off subject did you ever get a letter from me?

Not sure anyone would want to eat my junk, heck I don't.

Off subject did you ever get a letter from me?

I'd eat one bite... That's about all I can eat of mine.... I'll slave cooking a "test" brisket all night long to eat one half of a slice of brisket...

Yes, I received it. It's in my briefcase...

When I fry turkeys I always cook other items for appies.
Onion rings, okra, fries, cheese sticks, mushrooms i have even made potato chips. Corn on the cob is as well.
When you have it all set up these are very easy and only take a few minutes to cook.

When I fry turkeys I always cook other items for appies.
Onion rings, okra, fries, cheese sticks, mushrooms i have even made potato chips. Corn on the cob is as well.
When you have it all set up these are very easy and only take a few minutes to cook.

Tater tots with a nice sea salt and garlic grind on them.... MMmmmmmm

That is my favorite thing that I made from last weekend. The deep fried bolony was a waste of time. Looked awesome, didn't do anything for it, except a nice crust...

.... Trying to think up things to cook in oil!!!!
Fried ribs.

Fried prime rib.

We might stretch it and have eight weekends off, but a couple of those are going to have to be devoted to making sauce. Eight weeks off isn't enough, unless I'm spending them on Kauai.

RIB EYES :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Like Sal, we don't start until next May. And like Sal, will be working on Chicken, but need work on pork too. I wish we could get our stuff on a plane and get down to Florida for a comp.

Mr Bouska,

Clark Kent only competed in a handful of events this year (6)---but can't recall getting to cook much in between or practice much--some of our practice happened during the competitions.:icon_shock1: Personally, I like to cook alot of different stuff outside--helps me relax and get my Mojo back in tune. I just built the Clark Kent Test Kitchen in the back yard--which will have a hot tub located close to the Kooker (Kingfisher)--so I can keep an eye on the temps of course! I normally like to work on rubs and sauce in the winter--

Clark

Mr Bouska,

Clark Kent only competed in a handful of events this year (6)---but can't recall getting to cook much in between or practice much--some of our practice happened during the competitions.:icon_shock1: Personally, I like to cook alot of different stuff outside--helps me relax and get my Mojo back in tune. I just built the Clark Kent Test Kitchen in the back yard--which will have a hot tub located close to the Kooker (Kingfisher)--so I can keep an eye on the temps of course! I normally like to work on rubs and sauce in the winter--

Clark

Good hearing from you Clark. If your traveling thru Oklahoma again stop back in and lets tell some bbq lies.

David,
Based on your showing this past year, you don't need to practice. That would be a great Christmas present for the rest of us who contribute to your purse. Me, I just bought some I+G and plan on diligently endeavouring to perserve.
Mack

Like Sal, we don't start until next May. And like Sal, will be working on Chicken, but need work on pork too. I wish we could get our stuff on a plane and get down to Florida for a comp.

Chipper, I would be so with you for the trip!!!

Dave, you don't need no more practice....

Take an extra wekend and come up to the great white north for a class. :biggrin:

My first comp is the same as Dave's. I've got about 6 free weekends. Hope to have six new rubs and two sauces out by next March. I've got four that we've been working on for a while that are almost ready for bottling.

Also totally overhauling the Plowboys Web site to get ready for the product launches.

Somewhere in there, I've got to work on chicken. Oh, and ribs. Oh, and brisket. Pork's still solid... ish.

I'm not cooking a comp until Houston in Feb. No practice at all is planned, complete downtime until mid-Jan. Hope to also take and teach a class in early Spring.

Back